question about router and time capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mrgreeneyes, Feb 13, 2009.

1. mrgreeneyes macrumors 6502

Hi,

my question is this:

my wireless routers network ports are all used up, and i need more ports, is there a hub of some sort that i can get?

the reason is, im thinking of getting a second time capsule.

my first time capsule is being used mainly to transfer files from my macbook to my pc.

and i would like to get a second time capsule to use it mainly for data storage.

is it a good idea to get a second time capsule or just get something that is faster like drobo?

thanks

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

Yes, you can plug a hub into one of your routers LAN ports to create more open ports.

Why not just plug an external USB drive into the back of your existing Time Capsule (to create more storage)?

3. mrgreeneyes thread starter macrumors 6502

the thing is wouldnt the external drive always have to be on?
    wouldnt it get extremely hot?

4. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I must be missing something - isn't Time Capsule wireless? Why would you need to connect it to your router?

6. gwihannom macrumors member

From what you wrote, getting a second Time Capsule doesn't make sense at all. Unless you really love one.

If you're running out of ethernet ports on Time Capsule, get an ethernet switch to add more ethernet ports.

But for the second Time Capsule, your main use is to store data on it. If that's the case, just get an external USB hard drive and attach it to the available USB port on Time Capsule. From Finder and also your PC, you'll be able to see both drives perfectly, as long as Airport Utility is installed. This way, you can add as many drives as you want, as big a capacity as you want.

You said you're transferring files from Macbook to PC. 500GB or 1TB is not enough just to transfer? I think you mean to "store" things to share.

With the USB port on Time Capsule, you can add more storage to it's already 500GB or 1TB. Get an external hard drive that's 2TB. If still not enough, get a USB hub and make it 4TB.

And regarding the concern for getting hot, just as your Time Capsule, your attached USB external hard drive will not always run full time. It will only spin and run when there's an activity. Same as your Time Capsule drive. You probably notice that Time Capsule "sleeps" when the thing is in idle? And once you click on it or run something on it, the drive "wakes up" from the idle state? Same thing will happen to an attached USB external hard drive.

7. mrgreeneyes thread starter macrumors 6502

what i use my time capsule for is to temporarily store files on it.
    since i cannot access my pc from my macbook, for some reason i cannot connect to my pc, and the same thing goes for connecting to my macbook from my pc.
    so when i need to transfer files between the 2 machines, i first put the files on the time capsule then transfer them to whichever machine.

is there a way that i can have my time capsule automatically sync a specific folder to my mac or from my mac to the time capsule? and same thing from the pc to the time capsule?

8. sommls macrumors member

I assume the file transfers between PC and Mac are for very large files?

If not, why not an online solution like dropbox (getdropbox.com)?

9. gwihannom macrumors member

Dude, how do you temporarily transfer files on Time Capsule and not have enough space with 500GB or 1TB? If you require that much capacity to temporarily transfer things, how is that even temporary?

And what does that have to do with getting a second Time Capsule?

Time Capsule was designed to work best with Time Machine. For your purpose of using it as NAS, you don't need Time Capsule and it's performance is not better than NAS. Try using with Time Machine.

Is this thread even about the second Time Capsule anymore? Or are you asking for a program to sync between your PC and Mac?