Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tejota1911

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Are you able to take a regular movie DVD, "Cars" for example, and rip it to your hard drive. Also, can you convert it for playback on a video iPod. From the description of the program it sounds like you can. The only thing that makes me wonder is because it says it works with "unencrypted" DVDs. I don't want to buy the program, only to try it out, and it not recognize my whole DVD collection. Thank you

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I use Popcorn to fit to DVD-5 and that's about it. I've had to use MacTheRipper to remove region encoding on some of the DVD's for my classes. It's annoying when you can't show foreign films due to a DVD region for EDUCATION purposes.

Handbrake is my source for DVD to MPEG-4/h.264.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Works on ipod, correct?
Try Instant Handbrake. It hasn't been updated in ages though.

You'll have to rip and encode off of your DVD. Then encode and rescale AGAIN just to get it to iPod otherwise.

I use mactheripper and then use Popcorn 2 to use the presets for ipod formatting.
Use iSquint. It's MUCH faster then Popcorn. I even have version 2.01.

Instant Handbrake gets around encoding twice.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
I dont see a problem with people backing up there own DVD's. Some people might rent DVD's or borrow them then rip them which i dont see a reason for. I mean you already watched the movie once why do you want to do it again?

I use a combo of mactheripper and handbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.