Question about rules and modding

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by AlexAndBandit, Mar 24, 2009.

1. AlexAndBandit macrumors newbie

I have a question. Is it allowed to ask for help during a certian step of SSHing? I can SSH and all that, but I am wondering if it is okay to ask how to mod a certian app. I did get the app the legal way if anyone was wondering.

2. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Half decent question I suppose. But I think it kind of treads on moral grounds. This app modifying, some may 'misunderstand' you and think you are attempting to circumvent copyright protection or else, etc... So they won't help you.

I am unexperienced, I have gotten SSH working to retrieve my videos form Cycorder. That is the extent of my experience with it.

3. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

MacRumors isn't dedicated to helping you pirate material to and from your iPod touch. Basically, anything that helps someone break the law is forbidden here.

However, there's tons of people who have gone by and modded the weather.app for just silly stuff. Like making the weather look a little different, customizing the icon, etc... ;)

4. AlexAndBandit thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I just had a question about Changing boards in Touchgrind. i'll try to find another place to ask if it is against the rules here. Thanks to you two above.

5. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

You'd probably need to zip up the texture files and edit them. Or it may be as simple as finding the images in a folder and replacing them. Have a search round the Apps folder, you may find something.

But modding an App just to 'theme' it is perfectly acceptable here. It's cracked Apps that isn't.

6. AlexAndBandit thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I had a question on not the graphics of the boards, but the "specs" of the board. Such as the speed, score multiplier. Well the score multiplier specifically. I can edit the cost to unlock and all that, but when I edit the score multiplier it doesn't seem to do anything.. Any help? And thanks to above three posters :)

7. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

well technically that's not illegal. Unless you're reverse engineering the code, it's perfectly fine to mod the values for personal use.

However, I would say that there might be another property list or some other file that you need to change. Many apps use safeguard and has the same thing in more than one file. Try searching around the files.

8. AlexAndBandit thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Tejen Naidoo macrumors member

isn't the name of this forum Ipod Touch Hacks??? Surely jailbreakin your ipod is against the law i would think but people still get help on this subject here everyday infact there is a dedicated guide if im not mistaken.