Question about running dual monitors

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jetjaguar, Nov 29, 2015.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I have a base model 2014 15" rmbp .. currently my only computer. I want to run 2 monitors off of it for when working at my desk. I like really big monitors so I was considering picking up 2 asus 32" monitors .. not 4k because I can get 2 of the 2k monitors for the price of one of the 4k ones.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XI4PAD2/ref=psdc_1292115011_t3_B00YWD9ZZM

Would I have any issues running these?? I was thinking of building a windows desktop (yes i know) because buying a mac desktop is just so expensive even though I have had a few. Or should I buy 1 of the asus 4k monitors and pick up another one down the road??

I don't really game besides wow at times (but i don't play on my mbp).

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes, you can run one of those big displays.
    Your MBPro supports an HDMI-compatible display, including 4K, while using one Thunderbolt display.
    So, you would need at least one of your displays to have a thunderbolt interface.

Someone else may comment that you might be able to use thunderbolt to displayport, and connect both of those displays at once, but I think you have a display with true thunderbolt interface - but I can only say what Apple posts on their site.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

2560x1440 on a 27" monitor is nice. On a 32", I think it would be lacking. Maybe get one 4K now and one later. Mind you I can't imagine why you would want two 32" monitors to work off. What are you planning on doing on it?

4. kohlson macrumors 6502a

I have a 2014 rMBP 2.3 GHz 15-in. I just plugged in a Dell 2715Q into one of the TB ports, using the MDP to DP cable that came with the display. I plugged my Dell U24xx into the other port. All three displays (incl the one on the MBP) seem to work as expected - I can set resolution/scaling with them in SysPref. Of course, there's still the HDMI port ...

5. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I just really like large monitors .. 30" is my favorite size .. had 3 of the ACD 30" a few years ago .. should never have sold it

6. svendobbelaere macrumors member

For a while, I ran 2 thunderbolt displays + the internal display on my 2013 13" MBPr, which is lesser specced and older than your machine, so you should have no issues at all.

The thunderbolt displays are the same resolution as the one you linked.

Personally, were I to be buying now, I would look at the LG displays with thunderbolt, like the LG 27MB85Z or that 34 inch widescreen one.

7. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

those 34in ultra wide monitors just look off to me

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Your computer will run them fine how good they look with 1440p at 32 inch is another matter but if thats what you like go for it.