Question about saved voice mail and new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Four oF NINE, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

I'm updating to an iPhone 6S from an iPhone 5S. Will doing this delete the saved voice mail messages? This happened when I transferred from a 4S to a 5S.

I'm saving some messages from a departed loved one and I don't want to lose the recordings.. Is there any way to transfer the recordings digitally? I know I can use voice memo and do it acoustically, but the sound quality isn't that great to begin with, I'd like it to be as lossless as possible.

Thanks

2. Four oF NINE thread starter macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

3. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Do not take your SIM out of the 5S, all of the voicemails will be lost. Make sure to backup the voicemails to your computer using a tool like iExplorer (free).

I've lost many voicemails in the past when upgrading to new iPhones.

Here is the link,

https://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/

4. reverberlayed macrumors regular

5. PedCrossing macrumors 6502

PedCrossing

I backed up my old phone, restored the backup on the new phone, and there are my voicemails sitting on my brand new phone.

6. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

I do the same and the voicemails are always gone, perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

7. PedCrossing macrumors 6502

PedCrossing

I wonder wether the voicemails are saved on the carrier's server or in the backups. I'm on AT&T and backups are on iCloud.

8. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Perhaps that's the difference, I'm not using iCloud for backups, my backups are in iTunes.

9. PedCrossing macrumors 6502

PedCrossing

I just took out the sim card from my current phone and popped it into an old iPhone and the voicemails showed up. This leads me to believe that the messages are saved on AT&T servers, but I'm not sure how long or how many would they keep. I would suggest to ask the carrier about it.

10. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

The past 30 days of voicemails do show up for me as well. It's older messages that get deleted when you pull the sim card.

So ATT must be storing 30 days on their server and then iPhone stores it locally?

11. Four oF NINE thread starter macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

Thanks for all the replies guys~!

I talked to ATT tech and he said the reason they disappeared between the 4S and the 5S was because of switching from 4G to LTE; the fact that there's no similar change between 5S and 6S means they should be preserved..

But now I've got another issue.. because the 5S is running iOS 9.1 beta, iTunes isn't allowing me to back up the iPhone 6S from backup due to the software being "out of date"..

I'm on the phone with Apple now..

12. PedCrossing macrumors 6502

PedCrossing

I think so. Just noticed all the messages are left within one month. So I guess iTunes and iCloud are not backing up older messages.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

My encrypted restore via iTunes brought all of my voice mail messages.

14. jaw3net macrumors regular

jaw3net

Did you attempt to restore it from iCloud or iTunes? It's probably best to install the 9.1 beta software to the new 6S and then reset it (it should reset to 9.1 instead of 9.0/9.0.1) and then restore from backup. Let us know. I'm running 9.1 on my 6 and will need to restore.

15. Four oF NINE thread starter macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

Yes, well this was the exact issue I had. I was dealing with "Jeff", a British sounding chap with Apple tech support, and he informed me that Apple wasn't allowing 9.1 betas to transfer to the iPhone 6S. The next newest backup I had in iTunes was from August 07, this year..

So nothing added post that time was backed up to the 6S.. Now there's a newer beta I'm backing up to, 9.1.2, I'll see if that works after it's done downloading.. There was no opportunity to upgrade to the 9.0 GM from the iPhone, and Jeff is long gone.

This is turning into an all day affair.

16. jaw3net macrumors regular

jaw3net

Ouch. This sounds like a potential nightmare. I've been on the beta for a while now and can't remember when I last backed up from a stable release. I can't imagine why Apple wouldn't allow the betas to transfer to the new 6S. Jeff sounds like he might be a bit misinformed.