question about screen brightness

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xxcysxx, Oct 22, 2012.

1. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

hello folks,
    does any of you know of a way or any apps to lock the screen brightness. the reason is my 4 years old daughter uses it to watch nextflix all the time and she always watches it so close to her face in full brightness. like four or five inches away, and i think the full brightness will eventually hurt her vision.
    i adjust the brightness down to half way, but she knows her way around the system menu and and get the brightness right back to maximum again.

right now she doesn't have any vision problem, its just a habit that she likes to sit so close to it.

thanks for any help.

2. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

4-5 inches away is too close, even for a 4 year old. I would not worry so much about the brightness as I would about how close the device is to her face.

3. donnaw macrumors 65816

She sounds really smart! If she has found how to adjust the brightness and likes it that way then you might need to try to figure out why she prefers it so bright. Since she is adjusting it something about it being dimmer bothers her.

Have you had her eyes checked? Did you tell them about the brightness issue?

I have two grandkids and they use an iPad. Neither likes the screen very bright. All in all, your daughter is very smart and quite old enough to be taught not to turn up the brightness. Once you figure out why she likes it I would say you just need to tell her she can't use it unless she views it from a bit farther away. And don't let her use it if she turns up the brightness. She's certainly old enough to understand bounds.

Maybe a stand so it sits on a table or on the floor. I know my grandkids love to watch movies and I put a case on it so it sits on a small table. That keeps them from getting too close.

Good luck. As bright as she seems to be I think you're in for an interesting life.

4. xxcysxx thread starter macrumors 6502

well, at first she was playing with her moms old iphone, and i thought the small screen was not good for her eyes since stare at it so close to her face. then i got rid of the iphone and get her an iPad in an effort to move to a bigger screen so she doesn't have to stare at it so close. but she's still staring at it so close when she is laying in bed watching dora or playing her games.
    then i got her a mac mini for her fourth birthday and load a bunch of kids games on it for her and teach her all the keyboard short cuts and track pad gestures so she would know how to get around, this is in an effort to have her sit even further away from the screen. i connect it to the living room flat screen and had her sat about 4-5 feet away. then she played all of her games for a few weeks and quickly get bored of it and go right back to her ipad.

maybe i should get an android tablet, since their screen is a bit dimmer than an iPad.