question about screen crack

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rust.puppet, Jan 18, 2011.

1. rust.puppet, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

rust.puppet macrumors regular

i was on my 13" mbp which i believe i got in september 2009 (the first 13" mbp) my wife went to grab the computer and pulled the screen back a little and it wasn't even hard, i heard a crack. now the top left corner has a 2 inch line crack in it that you can only see from a side view but I'm worried about it getting worse. if i took it to apple would they repair it or would I be out of luck because it only comes with the 1 year warranty? also i know it's cheap but could i buy a year and then bring it in in a week or two? I'm just worried because I dont want to pay a fortune, i wouldnt mind a hundred maybe two tops but if i remember correctly the screen is the most expensive part. thanks in advance, im freaking out.

ps. i did look up the part on ifixit.com or whatever but it says it's "very difficult" to do.... id rather not risk it.

2. simsaladimbamba

Apple's warranty, be it the standard one year warranty or Apple Care, will not cover accidental damage, only faults that are traceable to Apple (faulty GPU or logic board).
    Btw, if you don't have Apple Care yet and bought your Mac in 2009, you can't buy Apple Care now, as it can only be purchased within the first year of ownership of the Mac.

Don't you have some kind of home insurance?

3. rust.puppet thread starter macrumors regular

well I rent and I'm in college so it's hard to afford renters insurance. I planned on getting my second year but it slipped my mind at the time, I'm going to call them on sunday or maybe drive the 2 hours to figure it out. I really dont think the screen should of cracked that easy, the screen was barely touched. it wasnt even pulled back as far as it could go either. Im wondering if it will get any worse or if it will stay the same since it's perfectly viewable now and unless you turn it you cant tell really. maybe there is a product out that would put a clear coating over the crack without it being ruined? idk.