Question about screen durability

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aDRock1154, Dec 3, 2011.

1. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Hello, I am basically a lurker, but add my help if/when I can.. I came from a Nexus S to the iPhone 4S. When I went to sell my Nexus on eBay, I noticed I had a small hairline scratch (which I made sure was in the description as I sold it used)

I don't use a screen protector and am generally careful with my items.. I dropped the Nexus once out of my Jeep without a case and it landed on the screen, so I am sure that's where the scratch came from.

I guess my question would be, for those without a screen protector and using an iPhone 4/4S, how well has your screen held up? I am constantly cleaning mine and I NEVER drop it (learned my lesson lol) Just basic everyday usage, whether you lay yours face down a lot without a bumper or anything... Is it pretty durable? Any stories on random scratches happening for you guys/gals?:apple:

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I had an iPhone 4 from launch day until about August of this year and was careful as always with it (no screen protector or case) and it had maybe 2 or 3 barely noticeable scratches on the back (none on the front). I'd say the screen held up admirably. Great design, in my opinion.

3. aDRock1154 thread starter macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Also, I should add I am considering having my 4S go naked or at least get some type of clear protection... Thus my inquiry.

4. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Why would you ever lie your phone down face first without a case or sceen protector? Anyways I never used a screen protector and my screen is near perfect.

5. aDRock1154 thread starter macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Thanks! I LOVE the design TOO much to hide it with a case, although I am worried about scratching up the back (My iPod touch went without a case for a while and I noticed a few tiny scratches on the back)

----------

I wouldn't (I know there are careless people though with expensive toys) that's why I was asking.. Call it a "worse case scenario"

6. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Are the screens durable? Yes. Are they the most scratch resistant of all cell phones? Probrably. Can you scratch it without dropping it on the ground just from being in your pocket? Yep. My pops was scratch free with his 4 for 4 months and then a hairline scratch showed up. He never dropped it, put it in his pocket with keys, etc.

So if you care about scratches put a protector on it.

7. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The glass is great.
    Will break if the edge is exposed and hit.
    Will scratch when using something harder than the glass.
    If there is a manufacturing error, cracks might appear afterwards.
    Always claim your warranty when you didn't damaged it.

8. Zcott macrumors 68020

Naked 4S here. I keep it in a pocket with nothing else in it and try to be careful with it. I dropped my 4 once in the 14 months I had it, and even though damage was minimal, it taught me a lesson to be careful with it.

The screen is pretty tough but will pick up little tiny scratches, much aren't noticeable when the iPhone is on.

9. aDRock1154 thread starter macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I'm not a fan of screen protectors, may get a wrapsol minus the front.. I never keep my keys with my phone so I should be okay there. This screen seems tougher than the likes of the Nexus S though, which I like!

10. rookiezzz macrumors regular

The glass' durability is awesome, but not the back side of the curent ipod touch. I believe that touching it with nails will scratch it! That was my experience though.