Question about security (MyWi + Jailbreaking)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Reykjavik., Mar 11, 2011.

1. Reykjavik. macrumors newbie

I just recently bought an iPad and it'd be great to use MyWi to tether the 3g from my phone. I'm a little weary though. I use my phone for freelance work so I wouldn't want to be working with a large client to find all of our e-mails and attachments were stolen. That or any other sensitive data or transactions. And not to be paranoid, but MyWi needs to be purchased so I wonder how safe my credit card is with them.

That said, I'm only jailbreaking for tethering. Nothing else. How likely would you say it is that I could run into some trouble?

2. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Your questions are confusing.

You buy MyWi through Cydia via a credit card. Cydia uses Amazon or PayPal to process the transaction. Your credit card information is not sent to MyWi.

MyWi sets up a WiFi hot spot that can only use WEP for security. If you are paranoid, you can drop the strength of the signal down to 30% so other people would have to be REALLY close to you to steal your signal and grab your emails.

If you install iOS 4.3 and enable tethering through ATT, you can set up a WiFi hotspot using WEP or use BT. If you wait for the 4.3 jailbreak, you can use TetherMe (another purchase through Cydia) and set up the same hotspot without paying ATT each month.

3. Reykjavik. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about that.

I guess to rephrase, the act of jailbreaking itself is safe, correct? Assuming I install one trusted tethering app and don't go around downloading sketchy apps. I'll have to look into TetherMe. Is there any ETA on the 4.3 jailbreak?

4. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Yes, jailbreaking is safe. No ETA on 4.3 jailbreak.