Question about Security Port

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by funkfunkitup!, Jul 2, 2009.

1. funkfunkitup! macrumors newbie

A couple days ago I decided to purchase a Kensington 64343 MicroSaver DS Notebook Computer Lock for my Macbook Pro. This was my first lock of any kind I've had for my Mac.

After I plugged the lock into the security port on the side of my Mac, I noticed that this didn't quite seem as "secure" as I thought it would be. I don't think it's the lock itself (as it seemed to have some of the best ratings out of all the computer locks), but maybe it's just the design of the little oval security port?

The lock seems quite "jiggly". I've been wondering, how hard would someone have to pull to actually yank this lock out of the security port (not that I would try this!)? Is this little oval hole much stronger than it looks?

Has anyone else had experience with notebook locks on their Mac? I'm just a bit worried about the actual security of this new lock I bought...

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

my lock came with some foam that you stick to the lock itself to tighten up the connection.

3. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

If you really want to protect your laptop, keep it in a locked drawer out of sight. If someone really wants your laptop connected to a cable lock, they are either going to get it, or destroy your computer in the process. Out of sight, out of mind.

4. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I have to admit that i don't have one, but i was considering buying one, until i saw in this forums complaining about the lock, things i heard:

1) as you said; feel loose.
    2) not secure enough (stories of laptops disappearing :eek:)
    3) it damaged the side of the laptop after repeat use.

sorry, if this is not the answer you looking for. But as i said these are not my experiences. These are experiences from people from this and other forums!

5. funkfunkitup! thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what that thing's for...;)

6. funkfunkitup! thread starter macrumors newbie

Good advice. Another thing that bothers me, is that it seems just like an ordinary "bike lock" cable. You can clip those things so easily, it's ridiculous...which is why most people use those hard steel 'U' shaped' locks now. I can't see how something like that could be made to work with a laptop, but if they did, I would buy it in a sec.