Question about selling 2010 27" iMac with recalled HDD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AbeFroman77, Mar 2, 2014.

1. AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

Purchased Sept 2011. HDD still runs fine. Still has AppleCare til September. Get HDD replaced before selling?

2. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

It couldn't hurt.

3. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

You could, but honestly, the buyer is getting AppleCare with a used computer so he or she is protected until that expires. If the drive is running fine, than I say it's on the buyer to research any potential issues with the model they are puchasing.

Unless you're selling to a close friend or relative, not sure I would be doing a stranger I'll never see again that type of favor. Lugging a 27" iMac to an Apple Store is not fun. Trust me.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Depending on how you are selling it and to whom makes the difference. If this is online like on eBay or Amazon then they will trash the feedback if they do not know about this recall and give the "you sold me a computer and it died" speech. If this is local and it is someone who is going to chase you down when it dies get it fixed.

Also, as an act of good towards the future owner, just get it swapped. Apple will handle reinstalling OS X for them as well. I would be slightly ticked if I just spent my good money on a used Mac, set it up, only to find out a recall that the previous owner neglected to do is now in desperate need.

5. macthefork macrumors 6502

If you have it done, that can be mentioned as a selling point, resulting in a higher price for you. I'd have it done.