Question about selling 27" iMac with self-installed SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AbeFroman77, Oct 16, 2012.

1. AbeFroman77 macrumors 6502

It has AppleCare until 2014. Am better removing the SSD before selling?

2. Nandifix macrumors 6502

As prices of SSD's fall I would say its better to actually have it inside your imac than outside it:)

3. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was more concerned with someone less likely to buy it since its been altered.

4. Nandifix macrumors 6502

If you say it was professionally installed and it also has 2 years more applecare in case anything goes wrong. Sell it soon before the new ones come out.

5. MacSignal macrumors regular

Not accounting for your time or the risk of breaking something while you are changing the hard drive, an OEM machine at a lower price probably attracts more buyers.

That said, you don't have a lot to lose by trying to sell it the way it is now. If that doesn't work out, you can always change it back to stock and try again.

Good luck!

6. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

Should I spend $20 to upgrade to ML before selling?

7. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

That would be a nice gesture. However, when you purchase the ML upgrade through the App Store, your account/credit card will be forever linked to the purchase. When a update is released, the buyer may be unable to apply the update without your account password.

8. bobright macrumors 601

Is anybody not worried about selling the iMac and a new owner being able to pull up data from your hard drive?

I've sold iPads and iPhones but something about selling a computer doesnt sit well with me.

9. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

You should secure zero-erase your hard drive and encrypt the SSD prior to reinstalling the OS for the new owner.

10. AbeFroman77 thread starter macrumors 6502

If I had to send in my iMac for AppleCare, does having the SSD that I installed void any warrranty?

11. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

If you've opened an imac, your warranty is toast. If you put it back to the purchased state and they can't figure out you were in there, no harm no foul.

12. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

You can still update mountain lion if you don't have the password for the appstore.

13. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I was thinking the App Store always asked for my Apple password whenever it downloaded any updates unless I had previously selected "remember my password" on that particular computer.

I know the last IOS update seems to have eliminated the need for a password on updates (used to require it even on FREE apps). Perhaps they are starting to apply the same rules to App Store downloads?

-howard

14. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

regular apps yes, OS updates are different and don't require password.
    I have purchased lion and mountain lion on a different account, and my regular iCloud account that I use for AppStore purchases is what is always logged in.
    Never had to log into the other account for OS updates.