Question about selling an iPad (or any iOS device)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SaMaster14, Feb 14, 2012.

1. SaMaster14 macrumors 6502

Well, I'm planning on selling my iPad (first generation) AT&T 3G after I get the iPad3 when it comes out and I just have a few questions regarding how to go about it.

I'm planning on selling it for $50-$100 (its in almost perfect condition, and I'm selling it with two cases and charger of course).

But, price isn't my issue.

I am wondering what the best way to get all of my information off of the device is. If I do a restore and also cancel my AT&T data plan will all of my data plan information and apps/music be erased so that the person I sell to can't access them?

Also, if I do a restore on the iPad, will I still be able to restore from backup my new iPad3 when I first connect it to my Mac so that I can get all of my app information, game center, music, etc on the new device?

I'm planning on switching to Verizon LTE also, so I will be completely cancelling the AT&T data plan.

Thanks,
    Sam

2. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I can't advise you on the AT&T side but I sold my iPhone 4 yesterday. Prior to the sale, I erased all content and data using the iPhone's built in option.

I then deleted all browsing history and checked that nothing was left over...It was fine. The new owner tried the phone with his sim, and was good enough o let me double check.

So the same process holds true for your iPad, but as I said, I'm not sure what happens with your AT&T sim...Others here will know...My iPads have all been wifi only.

3. SaMaster14 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick response.

I have a Verizon phone, so I also don't know what to do about the SIM... do I take it out and have the new owner get a new AT&T SIM, or do I just cancel my plan and leave the SIM in and have the new owner just register a new plan with his name and info?

4. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Either deactivate or keep the Sim. Att usually gives new Sims for free.

Restore in iTunes, that will erase everything

And I think you can get more than $100.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Better to take the SIM out and have the new owner get one from AT&T. Theoretically, cancelling the plan should work, but it's better to be safe and not give the SIM to a stranger.

6. SaMaster14 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. And yah, I just realized that the price I got the device for was $749.99. Even though its a first generation, I may be able to get a good $350 for it.

And I'll most likely be selling to a friend on my college campus, but I'll probably take the SIM out.

Thanks for the help guys!

(also, even though I do a restore, the backup will still be available on my Mac when I plug my new iPad3 into iTunes, right?

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes. Just double check to make sure the backup is there on your Mac before you restore. In Windows, you can check the backup by going into iTunes Preferences and then to the "Device" tab. I assume it's the same on a Mac.

When I know I'm switching to a new device, I usually just delete the existing backup and make a fresh one before wiping the old device. That's because I had several experiences with backups going corrupt, and even though it hasn't happened in a while, I always feel safer with a fresh backup.

8. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Follow these steps to be sure to have a seamless restore:

(assuming no jailbreak)

1. connect to itunes
    2. transfer purchases
    3. right click - backup
    4. sync if needed
    5. back up again
    6. restore as new
    7. set up as new device

once you have new ipad, restore from backup in step 3.
    You may need to re-add songs or videos, but everything else is automatic.

9. SaMaster14 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, great, thanks!

Btw, can the person who buys my iPad 1 just 'restore and setup as new (steps 6 and 7) on their own computer? Or do I need to do that on mine to fully wipe my old one?

10. sbddude macrumors 6502a

The new buyer can do the setup as new part. In that case just disconnect it right when it says "your ipad has been restored"

However if the potential buyer wants to test it, it is helpful for YOU to do that part because it won't be on the connect to itunes screen.

11. SaMaster14 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, great.

Thanks for the info!

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I may not be remembering it right, but if you are restoring to iOS 5, then at the point it finishes restoring, wouldn't the device be at the "set up iCloud" screen, not the "connect to iTunes" screen? And once you are at the "set up iCloud" screen, the new owner can take it from there and set it right up. Just find a wifi hot spot and they are ready to go.