Question about selling an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BulkHedd, Nov 16, 2015.

1. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I've decided to switch from AT&T to T-Mobile. I ordered a 6S from T-Mobile. I still owe about $300 on my AT&T iPhone 6. I was going to trade it in to T-Mobile and use their reimbursement of my remaining phone payments but my aunt has offered to buy my phone. She is on AT&T and has agreed to pay me the remaining amount.

I just need to make sure we do everything right when she takes the phone. She currently has an iPhone 5. So I need to turn off activation lock and Find My iPhone, then reset and erase all data, right?
    How do I go about removing the iPhone 6 from my iMessage account as well as it being a security device for my iCloud 2nd-factor authentication?

Can she just pop her existing SIM card into the iPhone 6 and activate it on her account?

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

You will turn off find my iPhone, log out of iCloud and reset the phone to erase all data. I would not move the SIM. It will work but the 6 offers VoLTE which requires a newer SIM. She will either reuse your SIM or be given a new one at the store. Restore your new phone from a backup of your current phone prior to the erase.

3. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

How can she reuse the SIM? Isn't it tied to my account?

4. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

yes. she will not be able to reuse that sim. get her a new sim and you are good to go.

5. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I don't think she would be able to reuse the sim (yours that is) and once deactivated it no longer works. So if she doesn't have a sim card, you can definitely go to the AT&T store and get a new sim card. I believe iPhone 5 uses nano sim card, so all she needs to do is pop the sim card from her iPhone 5 and put it on the 6. Should work just fine.

6. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

gsmornot said that the 6 uses VoLTE so the old iPhone 5 SIM won't support that. Any idea how much a new SIM will cost?

7. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

It should be yes but the store might transfer it to her or more likely take it out and give her a new one. Point is, don't reuse the one from the 5 since it will not allow the newer features. This statement has an exception too. If she has received a new SIM recently it may be new enough to support the VoLTE features.

Expand the last two items on this page for more detail on the SIM:
    http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB425890&cv=820

...New SIM card should be free. She may have some charges associated with phone setup but I'm not sure on that part.

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If that is the case then you can actually go to AT&T store and have them give her a new sim card. I don't think they will charge you for a sim card. AT&T never charged me any cost to replace a sim card.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

SIM cards are free from att. Generally they just require the dim be activated on the spot, also free.

Your iMessage isn't linked to a specific device. It's linked to an account (the one you're wiping). If the phone is wiped and she sets it up as new you're also set.