Question about selling an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by atacinus, Jun 12, 2009.

1. atacinus macrumors 6502

Hey everyone - I just sold my iPhone 3G on eBay so I can get the 3Gs - my question is what I need to keep from my old iPhone - just the SIM card right (and a backup on iTunes) - then when I get my new phone - just pop the SIM in and restore from backup...? Is that correct or am I missing something?

Thanks!

2. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

that is correct!

3. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks - related question - I threw out my iPhone box - does anyone have any suggestions for how to ship this thing (and a LONG distance as well - international!)

Thanks!

4. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

small box from ups or something!

5. taran420 macrumors 6502a

make sure its not africa, lol, Ive gotten so many of those...scammers

6. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha - thanks, no - not Africa, and I already have the payment :)

7. bjquach macrumors 6502

8. mariner24 macrumors newbie

Selling First Gen iPhone

So I got my first gen iPhone that I would like to sell. Everything is in good quality except the headphones.

The questions I have are:

Should I update it to 3.0 on the 17th?
    Should I reset to factory settings or just erase all data and settings?
    When I get my new iPhone will the old iPhone still be usable if someone buys it?

I'm getting the 3Gs next Friday (preordered).

Thanks for any help. :)

9. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

Just thought of another hiccup to this question. Since the backup for my current iPhone is running 2.2.1 - when I get the new iPhone 3GS - how do I restore to the backup without losing the 3.0 software? Anyone know?

Thanks!

10. dancavallaro macrumors regular

Wait don't do anything just yet. Do you actually know the person you're shipping it to, or did you arrange this through Craigslist? If you're shipping internationally to someone on Craigslist there's a very very high chance it's a scam. Let me guess, did they offer to pay you a *lot* more to cover the international shipping? Like $100? And insist that you use PayPal and they pay you in advance? As soon as they receive the phone, they'll initiate a dispute with PayPal and they'll probably win, unless you can prove that they actually physically received the phone.

11. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

I do not think the backup actually backs up the OS itself, only the applications, settings, and other data on the phone. So, when you restore the backup on the new phone it will only restore the applications, settings, and other data, but not the OS.

12. Streamer macrumors member

Think that's right. I did a restore when I upgraded to OS3.0 GM and my 2.2.1 apps, settings and data came right back.

13. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'd get a guaranteed delivery with notification of delivery for you. Bubble wrap, in a box, then a decent jiffy bubble wrap bag should do it. Doesn't hurt to take a few pictures of the phone before packing (showing it working, with packin materials in background, and also the serial number)/whilst packing just in case there's a dispute

14. AsianChexMix macrumors regular

I would not update only because no jailbreak/unlock for it yet. There is more value if these are done. I am planning on doing a factory reset when I ship out my iPhone and then jailbreak/unlocking it so that none my data is on the phone. Always make sure you have it backed up for your 3GS. Once you get your phone, they will switch the IMEI numbers but I don't think if AT&T found out, they would be too bent out of shape. It's part of the game.