question about selling iphone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AustinIphoner, Jul 28, 2008.

1. AustinIphoner macrumors member

on ebay, iphones are going for rediculous amounts, i wouldnt mind some extra money in my pocket. What would stop me from selling my iphone on ebay, and just using the money to go buy a new one, and pocketing the rest.

Tell apple i lost it or something, and just buy another one for $399. Cause if i made 800-1000 off the one i have now, it would be worth it.

any hitches in the plan?

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

the IMEI will be blocked, meaning the phone cant be used

apple also record the IMEI on the receipts afaik, and they have access to the receipts on their systems

3. MazingerZ macrumors 6502

MazingerZ

I don't think they block IMEI's. That's ridiculous.

4. aphexii macrumors 6502

If i'm not mistaken the $399 price still includes a new contract, so I don't think its gonna work well.

5. AustinIphoner thread starter macrumors member

ya, i was just seeing what i would need to do. I prolly wont do it. Just wondering

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

from wikipedia, about IMEI:
    why is it ridiculous?

if he claims it is lost and wants a replacement, he gives them contract information and they give him an iphone for the unsubsidised price. why would you need a new contract?

7. AustinIphoner thread starter macrumors member

so, are you saying its possible without pretty much bricking the phone ill be selling? or will it just be useless after its replaced?

8. philgilder macrumors 68000

depends whether apple try and block the imei
    you could tell them you told AT&T to do it. i have no idea, never tried it, and im in the uk, so it may be different

9. AustinIphoner thread starter macrumors member

only thing with that, is i register my products with Apple online after i buy them. So it would be registered wtih Apple.

I prolly wont do it. just a thought for some extra money

10. MazingerZ macrumors 6502

MazingerZ

Its ridiculous because that WIKIPEDIA item is untrue when it pertains to AT&T. I lost my original Iphone on a golf course and AT&T basically told me to pound sand. They can't do anything to lock the IMEI.

11. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

yeah people do this. they just remove the sim and sell the activated phone. the people that buy it either sign up with att or are waiting for the unlock, or Ive even heard that other att sim cards might work in the phone(dont know for sure though)

but this is what you have to think about. your profit wont be huge, but you can about get the phone for free. $300 for 16gb phone... they sell for about 800-900 on ebay. unsubsidized phone costs 500.

say +900 for selling phone
    -300 1st phone
    -500 second phone
    -circa 100/150 ebay/paypal/shipping fees

= no profit but you do get about a free phone