Question about selling my water damaged iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hustler, May 31, 2010.

1. Hustler macrumors 6502

Hustler

Long story short my 3g got wet and won't turn on now. After several drying techniques I found online and none worked.
    So I bought a used 3gs on eBay to replace it. I've got it all set up and working well, but what can I do about my 3g? I want to sell it on eBay to recoup some of the cost of the 3gs. It won't boot up so I can not reset all data from it. If someone I sell it to fixes it up, will they have the phone with all the same stuff I had on it? It hasn't been powered up for about a month now if that matters.
    There's nothing super sensitive on there, but I'd like to have the phone numbers and stuff erased if I could. Any tips or advice on this?
    Thanks

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

You can't erase it and it is unlikely a buyer can extract any info. Since the main board has your info and is likely damaged you could remove it and sell the rest for parts.

3. tuna macrumors 6502

Not answering your exact question, but just a note:

If an electronic device got soaked, drying it probably won't do anything. The manner in which water damages electronics is that the conductive minerals in the water get left there even after the water is gone, and short circuit the components. The way that you clean water damage is actually by washing it in distilled water. There are guides about how to do it online. I don't know if it will work for all the nooks and crannies for things to get in in an iPhone.

4. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

you should probably just cut your losses, get a replacement from apple by paying the fee and selling it.

5. Hustler thread starter macrumors 6502

Hustler