Question about selling new iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by butters149, Jul 7, 2010.

1. butters149 macrumors 6502

When I sell a new Iphone 4, do I have to take out the sim card? What if it was never activated? Does that mean my contract still gets that 2-year renewal?

2. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

If it was indeed never activated, there's no point in taking out the SIM.

However.... if you bought it at contract renewal price, then yes, your contract will still get a 2-year renewal.

You really can't expect to buy a phone at subsidized prices and then have AT&T let you out of the contract without returning the phone.

You will need to call AT&T and tell them that you decided to sell the phone (give it to your cousin, whatever) and that you're keeping your old phone, so that they can list your old IMEI number on your newly renewed 2-year account.

Unless you never had AT&T and this is a new line of service, in which case, you will either be paying for 2 years, or you'll be paying the ETF for terminating early.

That last option seems like a major hassle. It would be easier to just return the phone and cancel the account.

3. butters149 thread starter macrumors 6502

well cuz i have 3 lines, i already got an iphone 4 for one of them, which is me and which i'll be using, but the other two lines I am thinking of getting iPhones as well and selling them on ebay.

I might as well have the other 2 lines get the contract renewal too since were all on family plan. My question is, is it worth it to buy it for $450 and re-sell it on ebay for $600+?

4. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

When? If you buy it at a discounted price then your hooked in for 2 years.

5. butters149 thread starter macrumors 6502

my primary line is already going to be extended for 2 years because of the iphone 4, might as well upgrad the other 2 right?

6. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Why do you have 3 iPhones? Sorry.

7. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Okay... so let me try to read through the (blurry) lines here.

You are on a family plan. There are other members of your family who use those phone numbers.

They have upgrade eligibility, but don't want to get new phones.

You want to upgrade their lines (extend the contract for 2 more years) and buy iPhones that you can turn around and sell on eBay.

Am I right?

Well, why are you having to buy them for 450 dollars?

Would they not be 200 or 300 (plus tax, depending on size of phone)?

If you aren't eligible for full upgrade pricing, why on earth would you upgrade?

I mean, if you buy for 450 and sell for 600, you have to pay fees for eBay, go through the hassle, the shipping.

It's not worth the trouble.

Then, what if one of your family DO need a new phone (they lost/broke theirs)? They'll be shelling out full price for some phone (possibly, depends on whether you have spare GSM phones lying around... I know I do).

Eh. Not worth it. If you were say, buying for 200 and selling for 800, maybe.

But with such a low profit margin, I'd not waste my time. But, that's me.