Question about servers (College stuff)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sou1 so1di3r, Oct 27, 2008.

1. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Ok so I was messing around with all the shared stuff that shows up on my Finder when I am connected to my campuses network, and I found these two folders that we use often. One is like a disk where teachers sometimes put files (like .ppt slides and .java files) for classes and the other is a students folder that has every single students own personal server space (called our H drive)

Well bascially, I was wondering if there was a way to place shortcuts on my desktop to get to these so I do not have to go through the umpteen folders and servers every time I want to save something there.

I usually have to use GO and Connect to server, but now I realized I can do it in finder by clicking through the shared lists of computers a ton of times. I don't know a ton about this so that is why I need help.

edit: I actually have no Idea have I even got to the window I am showing you... how do I get back to this?
    This is like exactly what I want on my desktop....

Attached Files:

2. justind.clark macrumors member

Try going to finder>preferences>general then check the box that says connected servers and see what happens. Let us know :)

3. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

To get back to that window, from the Finder menu, click GO, then click 'Computer' or whatever name the Computer icon is. That should bring up the window you posted as an attachment.

For a 'shortcut' drag the icon on to your desktop. What should happen is the original stays in the finder window, and an alias, or shortcut should remain on your desktop. To get rid of it just trash it; it won't affect the original.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

jodelli you have to hold command and option when dragging it to the Desktop from Computer to make an alias.

if you want to have mounted servers show on your desktop use justind.clark's method. but then you will have the server and alias showing when the server mounts. to avoid this place the alias somewhere else (anywhere) and then drag it to the RHS of your Dock. then all you have to do is click the Dock icon and it will connect.

5. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

That's odd because I just did what I described and the alias worked. Maybe it loses the link afterwords.

6. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

he CMD+Option worked! This is awesome!!

I'm not sure what you mean in the second part though... what is the "RHS"?

I went into the "students" server you guys saw and found my individual folder (it has ever student in the college on there) and made an alias of mine. Before there was an option when I right clicked on it, but it said I did not have enough permissions... but the cmd+opt worked! ha! SO this is what I am at right now:D:apple:

Attached Files:

7. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Right-hand side, I think :)

8. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Oh... is this what he wanted me to do? lol I'm still sorta confused... but it works how I thought it would:D

Attached Files:

9. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Yup, looks like it!

10. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

Ok, one more quick question.... is there a way to change the icon on my desktop from like a folder to something more cool looking?

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

RHS = right hand side. yeh i meant if you dont want the server icon showing on your desktop as theres already one in your dock leave the option for showing the server icon on the desktop option off.

sorry for the late reply.