Question about setting 7+ up as new

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raf66, Oct 11, 2016.

1. raf66 macrumors regular

Hi all. My 7+ 128gb MB is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. The last iPhone I had was the 5, and I have had a Note 4 for the last 2 years. I am on Verizon. I have a question about setting the phone up properly.

My wife and kids (24 and 20) have iPhones, and everyone basically uses our shared iTunes account that we set up years ago on our home iMac when the kids lived at home. I do not want to import my kids' contacts, music and apps when I set my 7+ up (which has happened in the past when I set up my iPhone 5). And I'd like to be able to move at least some of my music that is currently on the shared iTunes account to the 7+, but I certainly don't want every song that the kids have in iTunes.

How should I go about setting my phone up? Do I need to set up a separate iTunes account and set it up from that? Is that even possible given that I already have an iTunes account? Since I'm coming from an Android phone, should I back everything up to my Google account and then import to the 7+? And will I lose my text messages since I'm going to a different OS?

Sorry for the dumb questions and thanks for any guidance you folks can give to this old fart.

2. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

3. OC513 macrumors 6502

I go thru this all the time with guys at work, they all set up their iPhones with the same account as their wives, no good. You can share an iTunes account with no issues but once you start sharing an iCloud/Apple ID it becomes a nightmare. Set up your own Apple ID, use that to set up your iCloud and keep sharing the iTunes account. That way you can share apps but will keep your contacts, messages etc all separate from anyone else sharing your iTunes account.

4. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

That's what happens in my family. We have a main iTunes account, and separate iCloud accounts. And we use Family Sharing that so far has worked like a charm.

5. raf66 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone. So I should/can I just set up a separate iCloud account on the phone? Should I do an over-the-air activation then, or do I just set up the iCloud account through the phone itself?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I been using the same iCloud/Apple ID account for years with a few family members.
    There is never any issues or nightmares.
    We sync contacts with each device on the computer and transfer them back easy.