Question about setting up FAN account.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ndrr13, Jul 20, 2009.

1. ndrr13 macrumors newbie

I just found out I'm eligible for an at&t fan account through my job. I've been a with at&t for month now and was just curious would signing up for the fan account extend my contract?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It didn't for me.

I bought my phone in July of 2008. I found out about the discount in December of 2008 and added it then and my contract length didn't change.

3. dave006 macrumors 68020

No but you might have to pay $36 to get the FAN attached to your account depending on your company's contract with AT&T.

Just swing by this link if you have a work email address.

https://www.wireless.att.com/business/enrollment/

Dave

4. ndrr13 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. AndrewS macrumors member

Also - and I just found this out from adding a FAN to my new iPhone - the FAN % off ONLY applies to your minutes. You read that right. No discount on extended nights and weekends, text messaging, data plan, etc.

So since my FAN was 14% off of my $69 600 minute plan, that comes out to $9.66/mo savings which will take essentially 4 months to eat through the $36 they charge you to add the FAN.

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick but they're still b@stards.

6. wr1020 macrumors regular

Weird, when i went to the at&t store to activate my FAN discount i asked him is it only the minutes thats discounted or the whole bill. He said the whole bill is discounted, only thing thats not discounted is the taxes and gov't fees. I just activated it so i haven't seen it on a bill yet, should be in my next statement which is in a couple days.

Don't know if the terms are different depending on the company you work for.

7. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

I have a FAN discount and it does cover the whole bill. In fact, because of my FAN discount I almost didn't get the 3GS at the discount because it took it down too low. But they let it through anyway since it was only by $5 or so.

8. lavinci macrumors 6502

My college discount just covers the initial line minutes. Some companies/universities gives a discount to the entire bill, but some do not.

9. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes, each National Account Discount (NAD) is a contract between a group / business / school and can cover different elements of your monthly bill. The Foundation Account Number (FAN) is what identifies your NAD.

Some provide for a waived activation on new activation, discount on rate plan and select data features. In the case of FamilyTalk rate plans some only cover the primary line and all data plans. As you can see, they all vary based on the contract.

Dave