Question about setting up phone call on Watch.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by yegon, May 5, 2015.

1. yegon macrumors 68020

I'm probably being dumb, but there's something I can't figure out.

If I'm using BT earphones, paired to my phone, how do I initiate a phone call on my Watch, but actually use the BT headphones for the call? I've fiddled and tried it a few ways but can't seem to do this.

2. flur macrumors 68000

I *think* you have to hand off the call to the phone, meaning you have to touch your phone, so there's very little benefit in initiating on the watch.

3. yegon thread starter macrumors 68020

Aah right, hmm. That's hardly ideal as you say.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If your headphones are paired to you iPhone then you can't use them on the :apple:Watch for a phone call. They would need to be paired with the :apple:Watch to use for a phone call (or listen to music on the :apple:Watch).

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

why is that? The watch is acting like a Bluetooth headset when it initiates the call. By handing off the phone call to the phone itself it can now interface wither another bluetooth headset.

6. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Probably slightly different, but if I initiate a call on my Watch while in the car (FWIW: I was stationary at the time and parked on my driveway :D), the call would automatically go through to my cars bluetooth. Not my Watch, or phone.

Watch is paired to the iPhone, not my car.

Wonder why this result is different :/

7. flur macrumors 68000

That's convenient. I'll have to try that out.

It is strange that it's a different result.

8. yegon, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015

yegon thread starter macrumors 68020

I know what you mean, but the scenario I have is this. I use BT headphones to listen to podcasts off my phone. If I start a call on my phone it overrides the podcast, then resumes after the call is done. I want to be able to initiate the call on my Watch, the call then to override th podcast audio piped to my BT headphones from the phone. I know I could pair my headphones to the Watch and listen to podcasts from my Watch, but that means faffing with putting playlists etc on the Watch itself. Fine for music, but podcasts are constantly incoming and it'd be like the bad old days of the iPod when you had to sync the blooming thing to your computer every morning :/. Yeah, it'd be wireless, but I'd prefer them all on my phone.

9. tknice macrumors member

Yeah, really thought I would be able to stream podcasts from the phone over wifi and I'd be able to connect my BT headset to the watch. This doesn't seem to work. The BT headphones do connect to the watch, but they also need to be connected to the phone BT as well so what's the point. Control with the watch I guess...