Question about shutting down...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Drew017, May 16, 2012.

1. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Hey guys... I was just wondering if I could get a second opinion on this... Is there any reason that I need to shutdown my MacBook at night? I usually start it up in the morning, then shut it down at night. Is it better just to leave it asleep?

Also, I noticed that on battery, asleep last night, the battery dropped 10%. Is this normal?

2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Yes it should drop while it is sleeping since it keeps the content of the memory. You can shut it down or leave it sleeping, doesn't matter. I usually don't shutdown my macbook when I am on the field travelling. I only shut it down if I am home since I am on the iMac most of the time.

3. simsaladimbamba

Sleep or shut down is up to you.
    I sleep my mobile Macs and my iMac gets shut down every day (due to having an SSD inside, startup is quite fast).
    While on sleep and on battery, an Apple notebook will use 1 % battery charge per hour of sleep.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find hundreds of similar threads (sleep or shut down) while you wait for more answers:
    [​IMG]

4. Drew017, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

Drew017 thread starter macrumors 65816

Drew017

Thanks guys! I think what I'll do is shut it down at night when on battery and let it sleep when plugged in...

My battery definitely isn't going down 1% an hour. it's more like 3-4%. Right now, I'm calibrating it for best use (Letting it run all the way out then recharging it) How do I minimize this?