question about sim card (verizon)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by climber20, Oct 17, 2011.

1. climber20 macrumors member

Sorry for this basic question, but this is the first phone I've ever owned with a SIM slot.

I called Verizon this morning and got my phone unlocked for international use. I popped open the SIM tray and noticed there is already a verizon SIM card in there, presumably for their own global roaming plan.

Is there any disadvantage of just taking this card out and leaving it out? I plan on using a local SIM card whenever I travel overseas so I don't have to pay Verizon's ridiculous international rates. Will the phone function properly without this card in the slot?

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

You should have no problem.

3. interrobang macrumors 6502

According to Verizon, the GSM side of the phone is locked to that SIM.

Verizon says they will unlock an iPhone after sixty days (assuming your contract is in good standing at that point.) After that, you should be good to go, but until then, you'll have to stay home.

4. climber20 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I called this morning and got the phone unlocked within about 10 minutes. The 60 day rule applies to total time as a Verizon customer; not necessarily 60 days with this specific phone. So if you've been with them for several years and have paid your bills, they'll unlock it right now.

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

It's a great free service that I take advantage of with all my Verizon phones. In addition AT&T unlocks my Android & iPhones as well. Traveling internationally I've always used local sims and saved quite a bit of money.

Why people pay full price for an unlocked phone when you can have the same thing for just $199 simply doesn't make sense to me.

6. melman101 macrumors 68030

Woah, are you saying AT&T unlocked your previous iPhones just by calling up? This is the first I'm hearing of this.