Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrsower

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
So I have a basic question regarding Siri.

I'm stuck on an Iphone 4 for now so can't experiment myself.

All the commercials show people speaking to Siri in a normal tone of voice and at a normal speed. But the few people I've seen using Siri have been talking in a slower, methodical way. Obviously trying to be very clear.

I know this question is way outdated, just thought I'd ask. Hoping to upgrade to a 5S when it shows up in Sept.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So I have a basic question regarding Siri.

I'm stuck on an Iphone 4 for now so can't experiment myself.

All the commercials show people speaking to Siri in a normal tone of voice and at a normal speed. But the few people I've seen using Siri have been talking in a slower, methodical way. Obviously trying to be very clear.

I know this question is way outdated, just thought I'd ask. Hoping to upgrade to a 5S when it shows up in Sept.

So, what's your question?

For me, Siri usually picks up what I'm saying when I just speak normally. If I'm trying to say something more complicated, I might try to annunciate and speak more clearly, but usually it's not necessary.

Those people either have experienced issues, or just think they need to speak slowly to be understood..

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
For me personally, I need to speak a little slower, as by the norm, I speak a little too quickly even for some people to understand me. However, for the norm, just speak normally and Siri should understand. Most of the time, anyway.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Siri sounded awesome for me on 6.1.2, but going to 6.1.4 she seemed more robotic. But in iOS7 I think she sounds more fluid, Ill test this myself next week when I get my computer back and can reload iOS7 on my phone

Misread the OP, I tend to speak slowly, more because I mumble. But it depends on what I say. Usually when I ask to set an alarm or a reminder, I talk normally. When I ask her to call someone, I tend to speak slower so she doesnt misunderstand the name.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Siri learns your dialect and pace. So if you start by speaking slowly then that is how it thinks you speak.

Speak normally, if it gets it wrong then correct it. It will learn and get better.

It Is James

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2013
Washington
Siri has actually been quite accurate in guessing what I'm saying while talking at a normal speed. Of course, it's clearer if you talk slower but most of the time it won't be an issue.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I only talk a little bit slower when there is a lot of background noise. Otherwise I talk normally and she gets it right 99% of the time...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.