Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D34th

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Connecticut
So my sister wants me to make a slideshow for her. I don't have that much experience with iPhoto. My question is, would I be able to make a slideshow, with my own music, and edit the music so I can play 30 seconds from one song, and then 30 seconds from another, or something like that? And then be able to burn it onto a CD, and not be limited to just my iPhoto? I'm not really asking how to do it, I'm sure if I knew that it could be done then I could take the time to figure it out. I'm just asking if it can be done. I know I can just use iMovie, as it seems simple to me, but would be a pain with 200 pictures, and setting each picture to show up for 5 seconds or so rather than just one frame. So, before I plunge myself into it using iMovie, can it be done in iPhoto in a simpler way?

way2l84sanity

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2006
Half way to everywhere
"with my own music, and edit the music so I can play 30 seconds from one song, and then 30 seconds from another, or something like that?"

Yes, I did a slide show using iPhoto (250 photos) and used 4 to 5 different songs.The way I did it was, I used garage band, I opened itunes & garage band side by side dropped & dragged each song from itunes into garage band, each song makes a new track. Then click on the song so it's highlited then click on the scissors button. in that window just highlite the part of the song you don't want and delete it. then do it to the rest of the songs that you imported. If you leave a little extra time on each song you can make cross fades to the begining and end of each clip you just created. When you're done export it to itunes and it will become one song. When in iphoto you can use that song from itunes. You can also have the slide show set to the legnth of your song. You can then burn the slideshow to a cd by exporting it to idvd. The song can be burned to a cd from itunes seperately if you like. Were you planning on using any ken burns effect?

D34th

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Connecticut
way2l84sanity said:
"with my own music, and edit the music so I can play 30 seconds from one song, and then 30 seconds from another, or something like that?"

Yes, I did a slide show using iPhoto (250 photos) and used 4 to 5 different songs.The way I did it was, I used garage band, I opened itunes & garage band side by side dropped & dragged each song from itunes into garage band, each song makes a new track. Then click on the song so it's highlited then click on the scissors button. in that window just highlite the part of the song you don't want and delete it. then do it to the rest of the songs that you imported. If you leave a little extra time on each song you can make cross fades to the begining and end of each clip you just created. When you're done export it to itunes and it will become one song. When in iphoto you can use that song from itunes. You can also have the slide show set to the legnth of your song. You can then burn the slideshow to a cd by exporting it to idvd. The song can be burned to a cd from itunes seperately if you like. Were you planning on using any ken burns effect?

Thank you, I did think of using Garage Band, as I knew there was some way there. I did happen to just try it out with iMovie quickly and found out that it works the exact way I wanted it. When you insert photos, it has slideshow options (time per slide, effects, and so on) that pop up and I just use the second track in the timeline to edit the music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.