Question about smc fan control after installing leopard. please help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by troysympatico, Dec 29, 2007.

1. troysympatico macrumors member

hi,, i recently had my macbook pro a clean install leopard,.. everything is going fine afterwards until i installed smc fancontrol, smc fancontrol is working fine, but my problem is, i forgot to set the default fan speed on the smc fancontrol which is 2000rpm before i did the clean install, the fan speed was 2500rpm when i clean installed leopard, forgetting to set the default 2000 rpm back,. and now after i installed leopard, and then i installed back the smc fancontrol, the default now is 2500rpm! i cannot set it back to the default, which is 2000rpm, when i tried smc fancontrol keeps telling me that it FELL SHORT OF MINIMUM, which it thinks the default rpm is 2500, how can i get it back to the real default rpm of macbook pro which is 2000rpm? i'm afraid that constantly running my macbook pro forever to 2500rpm will cause the wear and tear of my macbook pro's fans , please help me, i really don't know what i'll do here....

2. troysympatico thread starter macrumors member

3. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Just a quick thought: have you reset the PRAM?

On bootup, hold Option + Command + P + R and keep holding it until you hear 3 chimes. i.e. reboot, chime, reboot, chime, reboot, chime, release keys

4. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Actually, just reread your post. When you quit SMC fan control, the fans should revert to the default. SMC does not write anything to any system or hardware settings which is what I think you believe has happened?

5. troysympatico thread starter macrumors member

hi wildpalm, thanks for the reply...
    i tried the pram thing, but it is still the same,. i tried quiting smcfancontrol, and tried to view the fans speed using istat widget, and it is still at 2500rpm,,... do you think my mbp will be ok in the long run? anything i can do to make my default fan rpm back to normal which is 2000rpm?

6. bubblemayhem macrumors newbie

right click the smc fan control icon in the application folder and chose "show package contents". go into contents, then into resources. open up "machines.plist" with text edit. you should see values all through the document, but go near the bottom and you should see two sections looking something like this:

<key>Minspeed</key>
    <integer>2000</integer>
    <key>selspeed</key>
    <integer>2000</integer>

i had the same problem as you, but my default was set at 4000 rpm :(
    anyways, you want to change those values to 2000, as shown.
    save your changes and quit fan control and restart it. now you can make new favorites with a minimum of 2000 rpm.

you might want to make a duplicate of machines.plist in case something gets messed up.