question about smc fanctrl, 8800 and istat

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by faumble, Jul 1, 2008.

1. faumble macrumors regular

Hi, got some questions about smc fancontrol, istat, and my 8800s, thanks very much in advance!
    1. Can smc fan control damage my macpro in some way or the fans? or has apple said anything about altering fan speeds, I mean could it be bad in some way?
    2. could you guys please recommend me rpms for the fans for the mac pro?
    3. where does the video card temperature appears in istat?
    i am guessing it is the one from power supply 1, if it is my 8800s run between 51C and 55C, is it normal? cause when i touch it it almost burns...am concerned about it.
    thanks for your help, really apprecite it.

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

1. Unless you somehow manage to slow down the fans to where they cannot cool the Mac Pro sufficiently, or you leave them running on high all the time, no, SMC Fan Control will not damage your computer.

2. The default settings are fine. If you're really worried about it, set them all to about 800-1000 RPMs each.

3. It would be the "Expansion Slots" under Temps. It's not your power supply. As for how warm it is, mine is currently about 40 C, but if I've been playing games it will rapidly increase in temperature (and the fans will spin up) and it will get warmer. It's designed to get warm, I wouldn't be overly concerned of how it feels when you touch it.

3. faumble thread starter macrumors regular

thanks,
    I checked my temp under "expansion slots" and it says 28C, isnt it too low for 2 video cards 8800s?
    so if the cards temps are expansion slots then what is Power suply 1 and power supply 2? their temps are around 55C....i had guess these were the video cards cause of the power cables 1 and 2.
    thanks again