Question about software license - iPhoto 11

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ks-man, Jan 6, 2011.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I currently have iPhoto 9 on my new MBA and I have iPhoto 8 on my iMac. If I log into the App store I see that iPhoto is installed on my MBA but costs $14.99 on my iMac.

I have two main questions, one with respect to the App Store and one with respect to iPhoto.

If I had bought iPhoto on my MBA, would I be allowed to install it on my iMac? I assume that apps are able to be synced by account and thus if you buy an app for one mac, you can use it on your other mac. Is this correct?

Assuming the above is correct, could I install iPhoto (and thus all iLife) on my iMac without having to purchase it since I own a legitimate copy from my MBA purchase? I'm really more getting at Apple's license policy now that the app store has gone live.

If apps are not able to be synced across computers and must be purchased on each this is a moot point but I doubt that to be the case.

Thank you.

2. irishgrizzly, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Good question, I'm guessing no? Otherwise why would Apple sell multi-install packs.

3. mrcourt123, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

mrcourt123 macrumors member

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yes. App Store apps may be used on all the Macs you own (assuming you're not a business).

No. You own only a single-machine license, because that's what came with your iMac. It's not covered by the App Store policies.

jW

5. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting, so essentially from now on there isn't much of a reason to buy single license applications from retail locations if they are available on the app store. It may only apply to Apple software but still really impacts distribution decisions.