Question about specs and purchasing the Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nutsnbolts, Oct 12, 2009.

1. nutsnbolts macrumors 6502

I'm about to purchase a Macbook Pro. Here is the spec I'm looking to purchase.

17"
    3.06 Core Duo
    4 GB memory
    500 Serial ATA 7200 rpms
    Anti Glare Coating

I'm debating whether I should get the 256 SD drive? It's obviously have the 500 GB.

I plan on using my MacBook pro for Photography and Video editing so I'm wondering if there is a H U G E boost in HD performance from SD to 7200 rpm. I know that Sd is better but is it worth the price paying for that for my purpose and for that much SD space (256).

I want to hear from people who actually was in the same situation I am in now in deciding between the two.

Memory, I can always upgrade on my own?

2. XP Defector macrumors 6502

Whatever you do, do not buy it with your MacBook. Check out something like Ebuyer, you can snap a WD 5200RPM 500GB Scorpio for 50 quid.

I am also about to purchase a MacBook Pro 15" and I'm a freelance travel photographer. Basically going for the stock hard drive and then will upgrade to the above. SSD would be nice but just too expensive per GB at the moment.

I used to use Aperture 2.0 and NX2 to edit with my three year old MacBook, which was fine. However they where 6MB RAW files, now I'm shooting with a camera that does 12MB, so we will see how it fairs. Pretty good I imagine.

3. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Get rid of the 3.06GHz processor. It's only a maximum of 9.5% percent performance boost at full load vs. the 2.8 and it's very costly.