Question about speech

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AdamL, Aug 14, 2007.

1. AdamL macrumors member

Okay, so my friend is really annoying and always like to mess with how people have their stuff set up. He was on my Mac Book Pro last night and earlier this morning after I inserted a cd my computer started talking out everything I did. Say I was in finder and I click on File>New Window. The computer would speak out "file, new window".

So, I restarted and it was working like normal. A minute ago I opened something and it began to say something but stopped. Is there some kind of setting my friend messed with to cause this or what? Any help would be grateful. Thanks.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sys prefs -> universal access -> seeing -> voiceover (turn it off)

You might also check:

Sys prefs -> speech -> text to speech -> make sure the three buttons in the middle are unchecked (although I'm not sure they do anything unless voiceover is active).

3. AdamL thread starter macrumors member

Alright, thanks. Yeah, after I posted this I found the Universal Access. The thing is, when I turn it off it will randomly turn on for some reason. The shortcut to turn it on is command-F5 but I don't ever press that. I don't know though, it seems to be working okay even though it messed up about half an hour okay.