question about ssd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by happle, Jun 4, 2012.

1. happle macrumors 6502a

i have an ssd in my main bay and a hitachi 7k750 in the optical bay.

but i was wondering is it not smart to have my user folder on the ssd? i heard erasing files such as clearing the track can affect performance.

2. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

It depends how fast you need to access files in your user folder.

Disks (and SSDs) are consumable. they wear out, break, etc.

If you need the speed, you need the speed.

3. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

i suppose i dont NEED it but then i just dont even see the point of having the ssd in the first place, no? im not really sure exactly what putting the user folder on the other hard drive entails and what would see the difference in speed.

im also not too sure on how much this trash deletion effects the drive. just fyi im using a stock apple ssd so it has trim enabled via apple.

but i am building a hackintosh and windows machine as we speak so im wondering the same thing for that as well. i believe that i will have to manually enable trim, if its worth it anyway.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Don't worry about it. While it is true the individual cells on the NAND memory chips in your SSD have a finite life cycle, even if you are a relatively heavy user you are not going to hit that limit for many many years. Just use your SSD how it works best for you and don't worry about this issue.

Here is an article if you want some really boring reading on the subject. :)