Question about SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sdemeter, Oct 25, 2013.

1. sdemeter macrumors newbie

Hello all,

am I right, that the pure SSD option in New imac will use the same Slot as the SSD part of the Fusion drive?
    This would mean, that there is still room for another SSD or HDD? So I could create a 4 Gb fusion for example? Has anyone tried it?

2. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

3. sdemeter thread starter macrumors newbie

This means, if I go for the 512 SSD, I can still add a 3 TB HDD for a "Super" Fusion Drive?

4. jg321 macrumors 6502

Yes.

5. sdemeter thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks. Let's see if I find a reseller who will do the installation for me...

6. sdemeter thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately my plan won't work. I contacted an authorized Apple service partner. The 1TB SSD is using the standard HDD place. So I am back to zero with planning :(

7. jordanm86 macrumors regular

Will the 512GB SSD also use the SATA III slot rather than PCI-e?

i've ordered one with 512GB SSD and my plan is to get a external mirrored RAID drive for documents, work files etc etc and keep the hard drive for software and possibly my itunes stuff.

8. sdemeter thread starter macrumors newbie

Now I am confused. :confused:
    I ha d a chat with the Apple online store. They told me that all SSD options up to 1TB will use PCI-e. But he couldn't tell me, if the reside on the Fusion SSD socket, which I would suppose...
    Maybe I go for the SSD and try to upgrade later.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

You could connect an external USB HDD via USB, and then use Terminal to "manually fuse" it with the internal SSD.

The resulting super-sized fusion drive would probably perform as well as if it were configured internally, without any perceptible speed differences.

Of course, you would have to have the external drive connected at all times, or the configuration wouldn't work. I don't think that accidentally booting with the external drive disconnected would hurt anything -- just wouldn't boot.

It would become important to choose the RIGHT external enclosure or dock...

10. jordanm86 macrumors regular

Have a look at the link below. It appears that all SSD drives (fusion and ssd only) will be i the faster PCIe slot (so it will use the 'skinny' looking proprietary Apple stick SSD's) and not the SATA III slot.

If you go SSD only and later want to add a second drive (27" iMac) in the SATA slot, you will apparently need to buy the cable and mounting hardware for it as they won't include it if the SATA port is not in use when built.

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/144409/SSD-only+iMac+-+future+SSD+additions

11. sdemeter thread starter macrumors newbie

I decided now to go for the 3tb fusion. If someday there will be a 3rd party supplier for the SSD sticks, I will go for that. Otherwise I can exchange the 3TB HDD for a 2 TB SSD, once they are available and affordable.

So I went for top line with 3,5 ghz i7 and 780m. Now I need just more RAM :D