Question about SSDs.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by U88, Jul 25, 2010.

1. U88 macrumors member

I heard that SSDs work a little differently than HDDs when it comes time that they might fail. I know SSDs haven't been out long enough for many people to notice... but when some people have said some failed within 30 days, I wanted to know if it's more difficult to recover data as opposed to a HDD. Do SSDs give you any signs of failure before it actually happens so you can back stuff up?

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

SSDs make no sounds like a HDD does when dying so you won't get much warning. Like any electronic device, some that you get will be defective and will break on you. SSDs are normally more reliable. more resistant to shock, no moving parts etc. As far a recovering data, something that everyone who owns a computer should invest in IMO, is get an external drive for backup of data. Time machine software will automatically do this if you have a drive set up to be a back up drive via TM.

3. Baral macrumors member

SSDs are far more reliable than HDDs in terms of average lifetime (and basically everything else). The stories of them failing after 30 days is either a manufacturing defect and covered by warranty or a user error.

4. LisaMaree macrumors member

Something I've always heard different things about is that ssd's have limited writes. Is this true? Also one more thing is that they are super fast in the beginning but get a lot slower over time and eventually become as fast as a hard drive.

5. Syonidism macrumors regular

thats like saying that your 4gb kingston flash usb memory has a lifetime.

SSD's are more or less the same thing. They will all fail eventually but a SSD will go a long way before it dies.

benefits of the ssd:
    -faster (like really blazing fast)
    -more reliable
    -wont slow down or give you anonimous errors in the long ron
    -there is no moving parts inside. Think of all the angles and styles you can use your mac!
    -faster (so fast that this "-faster" is the same "-faster" as before and it has been going faster than light so you can understand how fast it is, its so fast that it needs to make its point twice. You know who understands this? Einstein does and he's all up in this shizzle with the time travel dizzle)

6. Syonidism macrumors regular

i read this while browsing

SOURCE: http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=13825

one of my first ssd uses were with eee netbooks 4gb ssd ;p did quite nicely.