Question about SSH

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by SirStrumalot, May 6, 2011.

1. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

This could be a dumb question, but if I use Open SSH to replace certain system files (nothing major, stuff like dock/icons) and then delete OpenSSH, is this likely to create any problems?

2. iLoyal macrumors regular

Not sure, but I think it wouldnt affect anything except that you'll lose the privilege to view and edit them.

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

No. But if you're only going to use this one time, or sparingly, why not avoid SSH and use something like iFunBox or iPhoneExplorer instead?

4. SirStrumalot thread starter macrumors 6502

Wasn't aware of those, but good idea, I'll do that in the future. I did use OpenSSH to change some icons and the dock, and am considering deleting it since I don't plan to use it after this. So, looks like there'll be no problems then.

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

If you do wind up using either iFunBox or iPhoneExplorer, you'll need to add/download "afc2add" in order for them to work FYI

6. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

If you delete it, and you lock up your phone installing something from Cydia or other, and do a respring/start, SHSH will open automatically and you can SHSH in and fix things. You'll need SBSettings to do so (which will also allow you to go to Power>Safemode and turn things off in Winterboard). Nice to have the option to go in there at will. You can change your password using MobileTerminal (not the one on Cydia, Google for the most recent or go to XSellize for it).

7. svenn macrumors 6502

I think you meant to replace your SHSHs with SSH.

Why does this have to be so confusing?