Question about standby usage

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by nednarm, Sep 6, 2010.

1. nednarm macrumors 6502

I left my phone on standby for 9 hours the other night without using it at all. When I checked it in the morning it had dropped to 91% with 31 minutes usage. I had push disabled and mail set to fetch hourly.

I ran a few more tests leaving the phone on standby for an hour and found for every hour on standby the usage was 4 minutes (even though I hadn't touched it in that time).
    I tried uninstalling a few programmes like sbsettings but it made no difference.

I restored to stock 4.0.1, set up as a new phone and ran the same test again (left the phhone on stanbdy for an hour) this time I found no usage at all. As soon as I ran jailbreakme and installed cydia the phantom usage came back.
    I haven't even installed any packages yet, not even openssh.

Has anyone else noticed this? It seems to be draining my battery quite bad.

Sorry for the essay.

2. Showtime3 macrumors member

are you leaving your phone in the same spot when you run your tests? your phone might be struggling to find a cell phone signal which will eat at your battery

3. nednarm thread starter macrumors 6502

yep the phone was just sitting on my desk in both tests.
    Nevermind I guess there's nothing I can do about it, I was just wondering if anybody here has noticed this happening?

4. Dizle macrumors 6502

There was a thread a few weeks ago called something like "fixed the battery draining issue" and he figured out it was the version of Cydia installed. I did't have the problem but thats what I got from skimming the thread.

5. Mrumorsxtc macrumors newbie

I am very OCD about things not working properly. So What's an OCD to do about my new gadget the iPhone 4?

I've systematically went crazy and start to break things down to find the issue,

What I have found is that all iPhone units that report a battery drain is a combination of bug in the software programming and possibly a defective antenna unit.

If you switch cellular data off? There would be no battery drain.
    If you delete all programs that have notifications to the, there is no battery drain.

Temporary solution before someone at apple can fix the issue?

Jailbreak (I buy legal apps, but the apps needed are not apple sanctioned)
    Install auto3G
    Install daemon tools (or delete them manually)
    Install multicleaner, so you are sure to close apps that don't need to be on.
    Install multiflow, because it's just cool ;)

After all the steps above, standby battery drain is up to a minimum.
    Phantom usage is still there but edge usage (from auto3g) saves a lot of battery.

Results?

98%

Usage 26 (all phantom)
    Standby 6 hours 38 minutes

But it still doesn't solve the drain when using the phone. For example, when typing this reply, the drain is about 1% per 3-4 minutes, where it should be about 8+ since I'm not actually sending any data.

I hope 4.2 resolves this, or I'm going to apple for a replacement.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Daemon tools might have caused some of your problems. I don’t recommend it. Also, did you restore and setup as new when you jailbroke? Are those the ONLY apps you have?