Question about Stolen Mac's

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JGruber, Jul 22, 2009.

1. JGruber macrumors 6502

Ok, so in my town we have a new school being built, and we are building a Mac lab for as well. We had a bunch of 20" iMac's bought, along with a few Mac Pro's and LED displays.

Anywho, today myself and the teacher were talking about getting all the Mac's moved into his class, and how we were going to set them up. Upon going to the storage room where all the new computer equipment is being held, we noticed 2 iMac's missing. We checked all the PO's and searched the entire school and where enable to locate them.

Now my question is this.
    For the missing Mac's, is there a way to retrieve the serial numbers from them, from a PO that was placed? Like does Apple note the iMac's serial number when they are fulfilling the order? All the Mac's also had Apple Care bought for them as well.

If the iMac was brought to an Apple store for a warranty issue, would it show in their systems as stolen?

We have made calls to our people, informing them what happened, and we are waiting to know the info.

I was hoping to get some good info about this, so I can provide my people some info on how we might have a chance to recover them.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

I don't know anything about retrieving a stolen Mac, but to make sure this doesn't happen again, you should buy some sort of a theft-software.
    Just a heads up. :)

3. JGruber thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah that is true, best thing is they were still in the original brown shipping box that Apple sends them in. Never opened or anything. So we never got a change to even install any software.

4. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    You should contact Apple. I think that if the thief tries activating the product, the serial number is sent to Apple. If it matches the one on the stolen Mac, they should notify you, as well as provide you the info needed.

5. JGruber thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point, I'll contact Apple tomorrow and try to get more info, and see what is possible.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Too late for you now, but Undercover is a highly successful stolen-Mac recovery program.

7. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I think I remember seeing serial numbers on old packing lists, of my past purchases. The only downfall is you'll have to unpack the other machines and compile a list of what you still have, in order to ID the 2 missing machines.

8. Cakester macrumors regular

If you have any luck with that, let us know. I recently had a stolen Macbook, however Apple told me that there is nothing they can do if someone brings that serial # into the store for repair or anything.

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Beyond getting the serials from the POs Apple will be hands off. Best thing would be to get the serial numbers and give that information to local police and pawn/used computer shops.

10. JGruber thread starter macrumors 6502

That is exactly what Apple Care told me, when I called on a unrelated matter. They said they will refund the purchase price of Apple Care, but they don't have a way to flag serial numbers.

It's going to be hard to get the Serial Numbers, because we ordered $100k worth of Apple products, including all the Apple Care, and 30ish iMacs, and a bunch of other cool stuff.