Question about storage space on new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scubacat, Apr 25, 2015.

1. scubacat macrumors member

I finally took the plunge and bought a new 2015 MacBook Pro Retina. I'm setting it up and was looking at the storage usage and it says there are already 1.31 GB of audio, 745 MB of photos, and 409.4 MB of movies. I haven't loaded anything onto the computer yet, so I'm wondering whether should I worry that my computer was used and returned? Are these just built in files for the OS, and is there a way to delete them to open more space? This is my first Mac, so I'm not familiar with how to find out what these files are other than Finder (there's nothing listed there under All My Files or Documents).

2. doboy macrumors 68000

That's normal. I believe those are from preinstalled applications like GarageBand, iMovie, Pages, etc.

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

It's normal. These would be files used by OS X and the included apps. Nothing to really worry about there.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you bought it straight from Apple: returned machines can only be bought as refurbished ones online(and they get completely wiped and setup as new), so it is impossible you got one if you went into an actual, brick and mortar store.