question about storing files on external hard drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adammusic, Jan 21, 2008.

1. adammusic macrumors 6502

adammusic

so i just backed up everything onto one drive (lacie golden disk 500gb). i just read about hard drives dieing and losing info. this is stuff i cannot lose and have worked on for about 10 years. if i just kept this external on a shelf and rarely used it...how long can i expect it to last. i took everything off my maxtor (250), western digital 250, and western digital passport 160. selling the maxtor and passport. how often should i update externals?

2. adammusic thread starter macrumors 6502

adammusic

or what is the most reliable form of storing precious files.

3. bloogersnigen macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

CD/DVD/BRD/HDDVD are more reliable because their data is not meant to change. its meant to be burned and kept. Hard drives are meant to be written over so they are less permanent.

4. adammusic thread starter macrumors 6502

adammusic

how long should it last just sitting on a shelf?

and whats the most reliable brand of dvds?

5. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Another, although more expensive option that is less labor intensive than burning DVD's is backing up to a redundant hard drive. So basically having two drives and having one mirror the other or simply manually backing it up on a regular basis. Its highly unlikely the two drives would ever fail at the same time.

In my case I even keep drive # 2 in the office when i am not backing it up. That protects the data from fires etc.

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I once had a hard drive that I used for a week loaded with stuff. Let it sit in the box on a shelf and took it out about a year later. Installed it in the computer and it was dead. I believe it was a Western Digital.

As far as DVDs, just get a brand that you know such as Memorex or Sony. I've used both brands.

7. n0d3 macrumors regular

DVDs/CDs degrade over time due to the dye used in the disc. The most cost effective way to store your data will definitely be HDDs still.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think CDs are better than DVDs or harddisks. DVDs are more fragile than CDs.

9. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

If it's really precious files we are talking here, I'd seriously do a triple back-up. Have them on a hard drive that you will access and use, back them up on a drive that is strictly for back-ups, and burned on a DVD (which, depending on how precious they are, you might just want to put a copy in a safe deposit box or at a friend's house in case of fire, etc).

And if you do back up on DVD, do not put a paper label on them! In a few years chances are very strong that they will not work, and you'd have to use Goo Gone to get the labels off.

10. amik macrumors regular

Good advice, this is what I do with my photo backups.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

cd's no fun lol

here is what i do, i have my laptop drive which i keep important files. then a backup external. and then once every 6 months i burn data to dvd's

wont it be nice to have blu-ray so i disk holds like 50 gigs lol