Question about storing files on time capsule only

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Murl, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Murl macrumors member

I'm considering one of the new time capsules for the backup factor mainly but I would like to be able to store some media in a separate folder that I don't wish to keep on my Mac/iPad. Is it possible to partition the drive and part of it be used as storage? If not, can you just create a folder and put movies X,Y, and Z in there without having a copy of them anywhere else? It doesn't bother me if I can't use it as a "media server" I just want something I can store files on as well.

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Just make a folder on the TC, no need to partition. The driver appears in Finder as a network share.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

You can definitely do that. One thing to remember is that Time Machine will let the backups grow in size until there is no more free space left on the TC (and then deletes old backups, to make space for new backups). Once that situation happens, you're limited when it comes to putting more new files on manually. I've got a 1TB TC with one Mac backing up to it, and I manually copy stuff out there too. Haven't filled it up yet. When I do, I'll get a cheap external USB drive and plug it into the TC and move my manual stuff over to it. :)