Question about student discount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Luigi239, May 10, 2008.

1. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

I'm planning on buying a Macbook from Apple soon with my Mom's grad school education discount. However, she graduates this Friday, so she will no longer be a student. She will however still have her student ID. So my question is, is it Ok to use the student discount less than a month after graduation, or is that against Apple's rules? I wanted to wait until the free iPod promotion started, which means around June 5th. They do that every year, right?

2. macdot macrumors 6502

When you go to the Apple Edu site it displays the rules. My guess is your situation is prohibited.

3. jfull15 macrumors 6502

They don't check school ID's, but yes it is "wrong".

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Anyone can use the Student Discount, Apple just does random checks and if you don't meet the criteria, they'll send you an e-mail asking if you'd still like it but pay full price.

You must have your Student Developer status confirmed prior to using the developer discount, but that's because they're not light to give out 20% discounts.

5. pazreal macrumors regular

You may be ok if the expiry date of the ID gives your mom a grace period for use of student privileges like libraries, etc. Then as I see it the school still considers her a legitimate student and so should apple.