Question about Superduper

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hotshotharry, Aug 20, 2008.

1. hotshotharry macrumors 6502

Does anyone know ...

If i put a bunch of files on a portable drive, then back it up using superduper, and then i change some files on the backed up drive, will it sync back to the original drive?

What is the method superduper uses to decide how to back up? does it keep a log file or does it compare existing files and go from there?

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I'm not sure I understand your question 100% but will give you the information I THINK you are seeking- please clarify if this is not what you meant.

What I think you are saying is that you have a bunch of files on a portable drive (which I will call the source drive) and then back that up to another external (which I will call the destination drive) and then change files on the destination drive will that sync back to original source drive. Is that basically it?

If so, then reversing the process and running SuperDuper again (making the original destination the source as well as making the original source drive the destination) will allow them to "sync" IF you have the paid/registered version of SuperDuper. It has several options for backing up that are disabled in the free demo version which only allows you to do full drive backups (that is the destination is erased and all files from the source are copied).

The method it uses is by either:
    • 1- Syncing the destination to match the files on the source (removing any files on the destination that do not exist on the source any longer)
    • 2- Copying only newer files from the source to the destination with no syncing per se
    or
    • 3- Copying only changed files from the source to the destination also with no syncing

It does not use a log, but makes real time comparisons when run depending on which options you have selected.

3. hotshotharry thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes thats exactly it :) thankyou

I have a 1 TB that i backed up and have more files to add so i wanted to know what to expect before i attempted anything. ( i added the files to the backed up drive and not the master lol ! )

Thanks for the info. BTW Superduper works great ! :) (shamless plug :) )

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc