Question about swapping SIM Cards

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by idesign245, Nov 10, 2008.

1. idesign245 macrumors 6502

I have searched through the forums and haven't come across a straight answer.

I want to get an iPhone, I'm not currently eligible for a hardware upgrade but my mom is. We're on Rogers. If she upgraded her phone to the iPhone, would I be able to take out her SIM card and put mine in (both Rogers SIM cards) and have the iPhone activate my SIM card? I'm not worried about the data plans or anything, just that the phone would be fully functional.

Thanks.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yes. as long as you understand that your mother will be charged for a data plan as well as you(You can't cancel the data plan, but you can change it on her account) on your account you'll also have the data plan.

3. idesign245 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not getting a data plan, going to have Rogers block data on both sims.

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Then yes you can do that, it'll be fully functional except for internet services.

are you even allowed to do that? I thought that you have to get a data plan with iPhone? or is Rogers special?

5. idesign245 thread starter macrumors 6502

Will the internet and everything else (mail, etc) work normally through wifi if I swap the sims?

Yes you can do that up here, not get a data plan... Rogers tries to force it on everyone because obviously they'll get more $$ and they play dumb when it comes to disabling the data, but many people have done it. I don't need data when I have wifi at home, work and school.

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yes, all the internet stuff will work over Wi-Fi even if you tell Rogers to disable wi-fi through your SIM cards.

7. idesign245 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I'd only have Rogers disable data (3G and Edge)... they have no control over the wifi...

So when I put my sim in, will it just be like it was when they first activated the phone at the store? I just connect it to iTunes and off I go?

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

umm, Yes, but if you tell Rogers to block data to the phone..they might try to think you're stupid and charge you for the data plans, w/o you getting data. like they block all incoming data, but you're still on the plan. get it? and that was an answer (my post above this one, as in yes you can have all normal functions over wi-fi)

9. idesign245 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not going to be signing up for a data plan at all.

Thanks for letting me know it will work! I appreciate your help.

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Anytime... lol, it took us a while to get to the finish line.