Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adgjqetuo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2012
Is it necessary to activate the “water lock” each time before getting the watch wet (is - shower or swim?) or is it ok to use it afterwards for ejecting the water?

From researching online it doesn’t seem to waterproof anything mechanically inside - it just prevents screen pressing or button pressing (which you can do anyway since they are physical buttons).

What do you guys do?

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
It’s just for ejecting water afterward. I have never used it before and only a few times afterwards. Never had any problems with a S2 or S3

Reactions: 960design

adgjqetuo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2012
It’s just for ejecting water afterward. I have never used it before and only a few times afterwards. Never had any problems with a S2 or S3

Thanks for the clarification - just found it odd that they turn off all the buttons on/off - wish it would just run the eject feature.

MountainHunter

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2017
Thanks for the clarification - just found it odd that they turn off all the buttons on/off - wish it would just run the eject feature.
[doublepost=1529979059][/doublepost]I unlock mine at the end of a mile swim and after taking a shower (not before) and have not had any problems

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010

It doesn’t turn buttons off though. You can still press both button to pause workout for example. It just deactivate touch screen to prevent water to touch screen it when you swim.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Same - only after a swim. I try to rinse it in fresh water first.
While snorkellng the other day I was surprised to see the clock display activate when I turned my watch to look at it. Handy when you have to be ready for a boat pick-up :)

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Same - only after a swim. I try to rinse it in fresh water first.
While snorkellng the other day I was surprised to see the clock display activate when I turned my watch to look at it. Handy when you have to be ready for a boat pick-up :)

Yes, the display will light up. How else you will know about your swim if the display is always shut down? :)

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
From researching online it doesn’t seem to waterproof anything mechanically inside
No, water proofing is an entirely passive thing; glue seals and rubber O-rings and things of that sort. You don't need to activate water proofing first before jumping in! :) It's a good idea to turn on the swimming mode thing though as otherwise moving water can interact with the watch touchscreen and enter spurious random touches into your apps, which might not be very good...

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Is it necessary to activate the “water lock” each time before getting the watch wet (is - shower or swim?) or is it ok to use it afterwards for ejecting the water?

From researching online it doesn’t seem to waterproof anything mechanically inside - it just prevents screen pressing or button pressing (which you can do anyway since they are physical buttons).

What do you guys do?
I'm with Resque2. Never used the Eject Water option on the S0 or S3. Swim/Kayak/Boat often, in the water at least three times a week, more if I can find the time to dodge a storm.

Never had any water issues with either of the watch series ( x3 for family ).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.