Question about switching from 5 to 5S- data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jazzneel, Oct 30, 2013.

1. jazzneel macrumors member

I had a quick question... so I am switching from the 5 to the 5S this weekend, and was wondering how data backup would work.

All I really care about is transferring my contacts and texts to the 5S...is that possible? Also, if I backup my 5, can I restore everything to the 5S via icloud? Will that mess anything up?

Thanks!

2. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

Im sure it will be fine. It will read the same. Just turn iCloud on to sync with contacts and you're set.

3. blue43fan macrumors regular

Either an iCloud backup (provided you have enough storage) or an iTunes backup will back up literally everything on your device. All of your app data, contacts, pictures, text messages... everything. It will essentially make your new phone a carbon copy of your old one as far as your data is concerned.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The only thing to be mindful of is that iCloud backup doesn't store passwords. So, the passwords to the account in the Mail app, Facebook/Twitter logins, and other things that require a password will all have to have the passwords re-entered after the restore.

For most this isn't a big deal, but if you have things like two-factor authentication set up with application passwords that you only see/enter once, this can be a pain to deal with. But if you don't know what this is, then it probably won't affect you.

If you want a backup that DOES transfer over all your passwords, you'll need to use a Desktop with iTunes, and make an encrypted backup of you old iPhone. Then, restore to the new iPhone, entering your password to decrypt the backup.