Question about switching from a Jailbroken iPhone to a new iPhone...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Hanwei, May 12, 2011.

1. Hanwei macrumors member

So... I have a black ViPhone that is jailbroken on 4.2.6 and I have a friend who is eligible for an upgrade and wants a black iPhone. It just so happens that I'd like a white iPhone... so we're talking about having him pick up a white one and then we swap phones.

Now... sorry for the noob questions... but...

1) Is there a way I can "wipe" my iphone of all of my personal accounts/contacts/info, etc while leaving the iPhone jailbroken? My friend would prefer I leave it jailbroken for him.

2) If the answer to 1 is yes, then is there a way I can delete Cydia or at least log out of Cydia on my iPhone (before giving it to my friend) and have the jailbreak mods/tweaks still work? Or will removing Cydia or logging out of it render the mods/tweaks inactive?

Anyway... basically... I'd like to wipe my current iPhone clean of any personal info before giving it to my friend while still leaving it jailbroken for him. If anyone has any suggestions as to a way of doing this, that'd be great.

Another question just popped into my head... will my friend be able to use my iPhone with his iTunes? Or will we need to hard reset the iPhone in order for it to fully sync with iTunes on another computer rendering my questions above moot?

Thanks again in advance for any help!

Hanwei

2. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

You could keep your iPhone as it is, and when it tries to sync the iPhone with his library, it will give him the option to "erase and resync" and then allow him to sync with his own library, after deleting your music/videos/media from your iTunes library.

You can go to Settings > General > Reset, and erase all content from there, however personally I would not recommend this as I believe it causes complications if you are jailbroken (correct me if I'm wrong - I have never tried this myself).

You could however reset the settings, and then manually delete SMS messages, contacts etc. although it would take a short while it might be your best bet, if you don't want to restore.

As for logging out of Cydia, I believe on the homepage there is a "manage accounts" option, which you can log in/out (again, I'm not familiar so someone may need to correct me if I'm wrong). Your tweaks should all remain though (I think, you could always try though).

In the end though, personally I would recommend just restoring your iPhone, setting it up as new, then jailbreaking it afterwards. Install whatever tweaks your friend may want. It would be the easiest way, and that way your sure all your data is gone :)

3. Hanwei thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestions... I think restoring and jailbreaking the iPhone again may be the best way to go.

4. phill50 macrumors newbie

yes for sure. the other way its just to hard to think of everything that needs to be done. better for your friend to start clean with new jailbreak too..