Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenbreadmmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
My logic board broke on my 07 mbp and i decided to buy a new 15" i7 anti glare 7200rpm. My question is how should i go about getting my files onto my new computer. I have a time machine backup, will it let me just install that onto my new computer? If so, do I want to do this or will that cause problems since its a different machine?

OR

Should i open up my mbp and take out the hd and find a way to hook it up to my new comp and transfer files?

OR

any other suggestions would be swell?

Thanks

kayloh20

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
Personally, I would go the external hard drive route. I like fresh installs on new machines.

But if you wanted to, you could definitely use a Time Machine backup and it should be fine.

Also, what part of the logic board is broken? All of it? If only a part of it, maybe you could hook your old one up to your new one using target disk mode (pretty much same thing as external hard drive only you don't need to take the hdd out).

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
If the TM backup has all the data you need, you can import Applications and your user data (including your personal files, the settings and preferences, your whole user account) while you first start the new Mac. It will give you the option to migrate data from another Mac or TM backup.

If you still have data on the internal HDD which isn't backed up, maybe try Target Disk Mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.