Question about switching from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kilcher, Apr 29, 2015.

1. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I've always had PC's. Thinking of switching to a Mac with our next computer. When it was first released I put Windows 8 on our (approximately) 5 year old desktop and I hate it, locks up all the time, even Task Manager locks up when I try to shut down something else that's locked up. Also, can't stand the tile interface and it's difficult to find what I want. Not real sure what I was thinking.

Anyway... I prefer a desktop (for a variety of reasons) but the wife is set on a laptop. She is willing to switch to a MAC.

My main concern is... I would use this mostly at home. I don't care about the portability so I would use this just as I would a desktop. I want to use my current monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I think the current Macbooks only have one USB-C port. Is it somehow possible to hook up my monitor (VGA), Microsoft keyboard (USB), and Logitech wireless mouse (USB)?

If I can't keep those it's almost certainly going to be a deal breaker. :(

Also curious if anyone has opinions on how well iTunes works on a PC vs. a Mac. To be honest that's mainly what I use our PC for. That and occasional surfing.

Thanks!

2. Command macrumors regular

Command

iTunes is nearly exactly the same. Menus might be different due to the interface.

I would not really recommend the new MacBook as your first Mac. Consider the MacBook Air instead, at the very least.

all of your devices will work just fine with it - the MS wireless keyboard with the USB dongle and all. The only difference there is they obvious windows vs Command key - but they'll work. You just have to get used to that.

You'll always have the built in keyboard for any special keyboard shortcuts required - on startup, per se.

3. kilcher thread starter macrumors 65816

kilcher

ETA: The Air appears to have two USB ports, that should take care of the mouse and keyboard. How about the VGA? Some kind of adaptor?

4. Command, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2015

Command macrumors regular

Command

The MacBook Air should have 2 USB ports and it has a Thunderbolt port - which you can get an adapter for with either VGA (blue) or DVI (white) and it'll just connect that way. Additionally, yes, a USB hub will be useful for when you sit down at the desk and run it in 'desktop' mode (clamshell, possible) so you just have to connect a single USB connection to get any and all of your USB devices online.

Review this for your requirements since you're going to be spending ~$1K+. There is a 14day return policy so if your decision isn't perfect the first time, you do get a bit of a second chance.
    http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-air#tab4-info

But don't over look the 13" MacBookPro (non retina) - they're hanging on to this model for a reason and it's a great machine. Larger drive, but not flash, same memory, etc.

Hit that link and select your interest, build it out to see the price, etc., rinse and repeat until you get what you want.

5. kilcher thread starter macrumors 65816

kilcher

Thanks for all the info!

One more question... I assume the contacts, Safari bookmarks etc. can sync with what we have on our iPhones and iPads. How does that work with two accounts (my wife and I)? We obviously wouldn't want everything merged into one. I assume we'd each have a profile we could log into on the MacBook that would only show the stuff we each have on our devices, is that right?

6. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

Yes, you can have multiple profiles in OS X. Each will have distinct home, music, movies, photos directories, etc.

7. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

I still am a windows user since going Mac. Have been on windows from the start. Thankfully I'm still on windows 7. I will keep windows 7 as long as possible.

I tried to go full Mac but like gaming i also use my HP windows machine to download and do slave tasks. i tried to just have a Mac but after years of windows i missed it.

I think iTunes works faster on a Mac. Bit like Safari on windows, its not the same.

i would recommend the rMBP. That flash drive and power will make your surfing enjoyable, along with a great sound from the speakers, battery and portability.

8. junkw macrumors regular

I think you have only two (good) choices:

1. Retina Macbook Pro (1299$) 8GB/128G SSD

or

2. Retina Macbook (1299$) 8GB/256G SSD + You wait a few months for a 3rd party dock with tons of ports.

----------

I think SSD and Retina are a must in 2015. :eek: