Question about switching from windows to macs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jduncan0392, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Jduncan0392 macrumors member

As the title says, I just had a couple questions for mac users.

Question 1 : I have a very beefy pc, intel i7 870 (2.93/3.43ghz), Nvidia gtx 570, 8 gigs ddr3 ram @ 1333mhz, 1.5tb hdd, 600watt psu, etc. What, if any benefit would I receive power wise from switching from my windows pc to a mac? (And no, I'm not going to spend 5 grand to get a 8 core pc when apps can't make use of 8 cores) I do a lot of video editing, which barely supports 4 cores, and I need the gpu to be powerful, as well as the cpu.

Question 2 : What would be affordable macbook pro capable of running games like crysis 2? (Something not 3 grand, I refuse to pay 3 grand for a dual core processor)

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

1: It's all about the OS experience
    2: Base model should be fine with gaming from my experience.

3. Jduncan0392 thread starter macrumors member

no offense, but if you think the base model which contains the intel hd 3000 is good for gaming, what type of games do you play? flash games? lol. I'm asking for real benefits. what do I gain from switching from a windows pc to a mac, other than "no viruses", which I never get anyways.

Also, what do you mean by the os experience? Linux is fairly similar to os x no? They're both unix operating systems. (I ask because I dualboot w7/linux)

4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Switching to a mac to me is for the OS and not for malware and whatnot! gaming should be fine like I said. I play left for dead 1 and 2 on my MBA 2010 base model!

5. toxic macrumors 68000

video apps can use 8 cores. Vegas and FCP7 might not, but Motion, Compressor, AfterEffects, Media Composer, Premiere, and FCPX all do, not to mention Handbrake.

you could get an upgrade CPU-wise into an i7 iMac, but you won't be getting any more GPU power without going to a Mac Pro. I don't think you really need GPU power, though...

there are no $3000 Macs with duals cores. all 15.4"+ MBPs are quads, and top-end iMacs are quads.

6. Jduncan0392 thread starter macrumors member

Actually gpu power is a necessity. If you have an integrated gpu, you'll bottleneck your cpu, resulting in pitifully poor performance. So basically it seems as of right now there's no reason to switch to a mac. The whole "macs don't get viruses thing (which isn't true btw, they don't get windows viruses, but peopel do make viruses for os x)", just isn't enough for me to switch when I only had to pay a little over a grand to build my pc. THanks anyways guys.

7. VeganHipster macrumors regular

Hahaha, the OP basically wants what he already has

8. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Macs aren't gaming rigs. If that is what you want you're looking in the wrong place. If you just came here to troll I guess you came to the right place, but really was it worth it?

9. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

There isn't some kind of secret, hidden, mac that has 10 CPU's and 10 GPU's and only costs $100. Get real. If you want a nice, fast, quality machine you're gonna have to spend some money to get it.

If you want a cheap piece of garbage stick to trolling from your PC.

10. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Whaa??

So the OP's point was what? "I'd like to get a Mac, but they suck, so I'm not getting a Mac." Do Mac people post these kind of questions on PC forums?

11. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

OP even a idiotic gamer like who that **** plays crysis 2 ? either way if you want a cheap way to play games and not worry about upgrade just get a damm console..... :eek:

12. Young Spade macrumors 68020

With your machine, your best bet is to get an iMac. Look at the specs of those and, if it's somewhat close to what you have after the price, then get that. But if it isn't, you're going to take a hit.

The laptops are good... if you get a quad core 15 or 17 inch you'd see similar performance... but aside from those, that's all the options you have.

The laptops aren't upgradable aside from RAM and storage... so for longevity, if you do heavy work and you need to keep your machine fresh every year or two, keep the PC as NONE of the macs are truly upgradable. (GPU, CPU, fans, anything aside from RAM and HD).

13. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

1) Like posted before, you wil get the OS benefits. And that is not the virus thing. The OS benefits is making things faster. Its doesnt matter how beefy your PC is, the slowest Mac will run software faster than Windows, the OS simply get the job done. You will experience 20 seconds boot up and 3 seconds shut dows (on a hdd), 5 seconds installation of software (including games, altough I do not recomend playing games on a Mac, they cost more too, get the windows version) and 1 second uninstalls. In addition, Mac have to meet some standarts like No heat production and no noise. You get a total silent machine and that doesnt warm up the room. BTW, nowadays, more and more computers are like this, but this has been in the Mac world for 15 years. You will also get the Dashboard, Expose and Spaces benefits wich make eveyday tasks take 400% less time to be accomplished thant the time required in the Windows world. You also get iMovie, a very powerful movie editing tool, wich anihilates windows movie maker. I can also point to a hardware benefit, the magic mouse lets you scrolll horizontally and diagonally. Thats really a MUST for people who work with photography and large pictures. The truth is that creative people cant use Windows, it would bottleneck their work and minds...but everyday chumps are fine with it I guess. One more hardware improvment is the key arrangement in the keyboard. The command A/X/C/V wich is for select-all/cut/copy/paste is ergonomically healthy, you do it in a second with your thumb, while in the Windows keybard, the crtl is in a really dumb place. You end up working faster in the Mac enviroment as well! In spite of me telling all this, another truth is that you cant really understand what is a Mac if you dont own one and use it. Once you do, you will understand its capabilities and will starting at realizing how primate Windows is as an OS. BTW, Mac OS and Linux are very diferent, specially in GUI, altough Linux can be programed to give a similar Mac experience, but its not the same.

2)Regarding gaming, its advised to install Windows on the mac in order to play games since most titles are Windows exclusive, and the titles are cheaper. Yes, you do need a powerfull graphic card, wich can be bought separately and installed. Then all you need to do is replace the external graphics card, as more hardware demading titles get released. Its as simple as that.

14. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

15. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I love apple products, really I do, but this simply isn't true.

16. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Google Canary is one example. Way faster using Win 7 through bootcamp than on OS X. But that just might be me.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is false. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:

18. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

^ +1

Trojans, Malware, and similar are the only ones. People generalize "Virus" as everything.

19. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

20. Des Zac macrumors regular

I thought he said he DID understand about Unix :rolleyes: