Question about switching MacBooks, Hard Drives

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Cyroceon, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

I am going from a Late 2007 MacBook (White) to a Aluminum MacBook. I would like to know if it would be possible for me to just take the hard drive out of my existing White MacBook and put it into the Aluminum MacBook. This would simplify the process of switching my stuff over and maintain my 320 GB capacity.

Also, on a side note, if I have an OEM version of Windows XP on my existing HD, will that work fine if I switch the hard drives?

I'm looking for an all-inclusive offer that would detail any and all problems I might face. Thank you, and I'm sure I'll get a proper answer.

2. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

I can't say about the Mac side of the question, but anytime i take a HD out of one machine and put it in the other the system goes wierdo on me even if the only thing different is a few drivers...so I wouldn't suspect the Windows side will stay intact...but it's worth a shot...And Reformatting and installing Windows is just like any other skill; if you don't practice you'll loose it :D

3. Stachelsk macrumors regular

I would think it should work, but I would not recommend it.
    At worst you'd get a kernel panic and you'd just have to undo it all.

The hard drive in the new model is probably larger and/or faster.

4. Cyroceon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

Unfortunately, it isn't larger or faster, however I have decided to stay with the 160GB hard drive for a variety of reasons. After loading everything I had on the old one to the new one, I still have 27GB left. That is a great amount of space.

5. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

It'll work just fine. I've done it. OS X has the built in drivers pre installed into the OS even if your using a dedicated install DVD. However, Windows (assuming it's a bootcamp partition) will have to be reinstalled due to it's inability to cope with drivers.

Just do it and enjoy.